Oragami anyone??

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by bkreugar, Oct 14, 2011.

1. bkreugar

bkreugar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    DS8 is obsessed with oragami. Has been since kindy. He kept checking out super simple oragami from the school library, so finally I bought a copy on ebay. But he struggles, so last Saturday I checked out several easy paper craft books from library because I was looking for easy Christmas gifts/crafts. So I read them cover to cover and learned some , THEN read his super simple oragami book. Now I am getting it. This weekend we are trying ducks and chickens. SO does anyone else here do oragami?

OR do you have some crafty Christmas gift ideas? I am looking for ideas.TIA

2. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

I can make a cute box/dish thing with oragami. Also frogs that jump! lol Thats about as far as my skills go though.

3. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    I tried it once. Turns out I'm pretty good at it! I call it, "rolled up hedgehog."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  4. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    I love origami! I make things all the time, I have memorized about 30 different patterns and I am always trying ones that are harder and harder. My most recent accomplishment is a swan. Over 40 steps with wings folding out. Its definitely one I really like :3

6. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    Was watching Ripley's Believe it or Not, and there is a designer(?) in Japan that makes clothing out of books. Ok, let me rephrase, makes wearable books. You open the book, and it's like a pop up, but you can put it on.

7. AznChick21

AznChick21 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    I love doing origami! Especially cranes. I've done so many things with cranes.

Not the best pic, but my parents have this fake lighted christmas tree. One year I was bored around the holidays and I wanted to do some kind of project. My mom didn't want cookies and I realize many of our christmas ornaments were really old and really beat up. I decided to make origami crane ornaments. Not the best pic but here's what the tree looks like with the crane ornaments.

[​IMG]
    I made about 200+ ornaments for the tree.

[​IMG]
    closeup

I've also made and sold origami crane ornaments for charity before. I was a huge fan of American Idol and one of my favorite finalists from a previous season had a brother who died from cancer. Many of his fans contributed to donate to the Sarcoma Foundation of America in honor of his brother. Around the holidays, I had made and sold origami crane ornaments to other fans and also the CEO of the Sarcoma foundation of America wanted to buy cranes too. All in all I had raised about $400 for the SFA.

[​IMG]
    my updated origami crane ornament look

And I've also made origami crane lei's too.

[​IMG]
    One of my fave American Idol finalists wearing a lei that I made. It included fan messages and his college alma mater's colored cranes. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and a pic of one of my other fave American Idol finalists wearing a lei and crown haha. This is Anthony Fedorov, and it was his brother who passed away that I had made origami crane ornaments in memory of.

8. AznChick21

AznChick21 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    Quote:m
    awesome!!! Do you have a pic of what the swan looks like? I can also make origami canoes, boxes, and balls. But I do mostly cranes and the korean puffy stars and make them into something

9. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    I can make frogs that jump too [​IMG]
    I've always wanted to know how they make those paper cranes, recently they made a few thousand pink ones for breast cancer, it was on the news.
    I can make a few simple things like blow-up balloons, boats and boxes, but nothing complicated.

10. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Quote:m
    awesome!!! Do you have a pic of what the swan looks like? I can also make origami canoes, boxes, and balls. But I do mostly cranes and the korean puffy stars and make them into something

If I can get my camera working I will be more then glad to post a few pics [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by