Orange Eglu Cube Coop

Quote:
I agree that wild bird diseases may be a factor. But mites - probably not. It is a plastic coop; and from what I know, mites infest wooden ones only. Anyway, point taken to move bird feeder for virus and bacteria infective stuff.

Quote:
Hello Lady Henevere! I went through your blog on your eglu cube with a fine tooth comb before I bought the coop. I was very pleased that your blog showed that the coop/run swing gate was bigger than the original version. One of the selling points.

Hope your rat/ mouse problem gets solved (your other blog). Why aren't you using the GRUB and GLUG?

And thanks -- I love the orange too. Had to choose between orange, red and purple. The omlet company must have gotten some inspiration from apple computers!

Last edited:
Quote:
Hello Lady Henevere! I went through your blog on your eglu cube with a fine tooth comb before I bought the coop. I was very pleased that your blog showed that the coop swing gate was bigger than the original version. One of the selling points.

Hope you rat/ mouse problem gets solved (your other blog). Why aren't you using the GRUB and GLUG?

And thanks -- I love the orange too. Had to choose between orange, red and purple. The omlet company must have gotten some inspiration from apple computers!

I want to see your blog! Where is it?

Quote:
I'm so glad my post was helpful! Thank you. As for the "grub" container, I got my Cube shortly before we were about to leave on vacation for two weeks, so I bought a big feeder and waterer so my chicken-sitter wouldn't have to fill them very often. Since the mice found the food, however, I have switched to the grub container since it's easier to take out at night and put back in the morning. I have the "glug" in there now too, but the chickens seem much more comfortable with the traditional waterer rather than the nipple system, so that's what they use. I'll probably just take the nipple system back out. It seems like a good system, although it might be better with a little lid to keep the dust and leaves out. (Well, at least where I am, which is dry and dusty! Your lush, green area might not have the same problem.
smile.png
)

Catalina, here's the thread ISSOLA was referring to, which I posted when I got my Eglu: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=182478

I've been impressed with the Eglu from the first time I saw one, which was before they started importing them to the States. In fact, I phoned them and suggested they start importing them, but that was a least a couple years before they find someone to bring them in. (Wish I had the forsight to offer to be a dealer!)

Yesterday on a garden tour I saw my first Eglu (it was a cube) in the flesh. They are even better looking than in photos.

I do wish they'd make some in more subtle colors, though. I'd like to see a pale yellow or a sage green.

ISSOLA, thanks so much for the information. It does sound like a very well made, well thought out design. If only they made them larger, and cheaper, I'd be sorely tempted to get one for my girls.

I love your eglu - I think it is priced right!

I built a catawabe "A" frame coop. So far no trouble. I hear the raccoons in the woods adjacent to my house. They seem so far to have left us alone but my neighbors are constantly being harassed by them.

The one neighbor has geese and they get to her goose eggs but she lets them free range and has no pen for them. They took out her chickens. She didn't keep them in a coop.

My other neighbor has his coop surrounded by his dog run. He has lost chickens too. His coop is more open - not moveable and he has electric fencing too.

I take up the food at night. I don't want any smells to attract critters. Also I move the coop around the yard but "park it" in front of my house each night when the girls go up and the ladder is on a pulley so it locks up.

The neighborhood strays are more of a problem - I had to build reinforced walls so the sides looks like old ironsides.

34919_chixjuliii_023.jpg

34919_chixjuliii_025.jpg
[/img]

The way the boards are stacked allows for good airflow - mine cost 102.00 but I built it myself.

That eglu is really neat though. And pretty.
Caroline
Jax FL

How about tent U shaped metal things that you bang into the ground? wouldn't that sucure the outside rim down so it can Never be gotten into?

though what about borrowing animals?
I have the same wildlife here love it but now I am thinking of getting chickens I am a bit concerned about the large and playful racoon families that roam the street LOL.

smile.png

Myself I love the Eglu products even ifthey are brightly colored. I think it offers more than adequet protection from predation and the elements. I have wanted one for a long time. Lucky you.

The larger wire mesh of the Eglu Cube, is a risk for intruding dexterous raccoon hands; hence, 1/2 inch wire mesh was attached to it with plastic ties. This was advised my fellow BYC angels4 too! (Thanks Mark...)

You are very welcome. I LOVE your orange cube....as you know I am partial to the orange. You are so lucky to have recieved the "LARGER" door, as I had to settle for the "smaller" door but I should be finished with my walk in run end of September middle of October and I won't have to climb through the tiny tiny door to give the run a good clean. Still interested in extending your run?
Just as an FYI, the Cube still has joints or dark corners where mites do like to hide. Although it is smooth plastic and doesn't have the grain and nooks and crannies of wood, mites are still possible, they are just easier to keep at bay by being proactive and keeping the living quarters throughly clean. That being said, as suggested I would move the wild bird feeder away as well.

Back
Top Bottom