Orange Eglu Cube Coop

Quote:
Yeah! Still very keen in extending the run. I shall PM you.

The warning about mites even in plastic coop shall be heeded. I am planning a clean this weekend, and will spray it with the mite spray that I have had gotten for my wooden chicken coop.

Your wood pellet advice, garlic powder advice, 1/2 inch mesh advice, and food additive advice have all been helpful. The chicken run does not smell even after 2 weeks. I did not think it possible!

I have also seen raccoon climb up on top of the eglu, trying to pull off the shade that is being attached via bungee-like cords. I think you know what my husband did.

I am not trying to sound like a hired omlet spokesperson, but this eglu cube is a real nifty invention/construction.

Quote:
I agree that wild bird diseases may be a factor. But mites - probably not. It is a plastic coop; and from what I know, mites infest wooden ones only. Anyway, point taken to move bird feeder for virus and bacteria infective stuff.

I wish this were true, but it isn't. A friend of mine just lost some chicks to a mite infestation in a plastic nestbox. It is true that it is easier to clean mites out plastic than it is to clean them out of wood, though.

Quote:
The big orange thing is
A) the feeder
B) the waterer
C) the eglu

I love it, too! My eyes go starry when I see a picture of the Eglu Cube. Beautiful. Futuristic. Great colors.

We've had our Cube since July and I just love it.

The only modification I added was to zip tie some plastic fencing to the ladder. It's slippery and I've heard of some people who had birds who got hurt. I put it on the top of the ladder and it gives them more to hold on to.

I'm not sure how to add pictures here but I'll try. Hm...can't figure it out. If anyone is interested and can tell me how to add a picture from my computer let me know and I'd be happy to share.
smile.png

Im just wondering if you keep the chickens out in the pen at night once they grow up cant a coon or mink easily just dig under and over and pop up in the run?

I haven't added any extra wire and haven't had any problems. They go up into their coop everynight and stay there until morning. Like Lady Henevere we had to put them in and close the door the first few nights, after that they knew the drill. Who's says that chickens aren't smart!
smile.png

oh, and as to digging. We move the coop around the yard every few days. I think because of the wire apron it would take at least a few days to be able to dig under it. We're in the suburbs and have to be discreet about our chickens, although the city does allow them. The Cube has been great.

Following srcarucci's example after a PM conversation we had, I recently put the same kind of plastic mesh on the ladder of my cube. Even after months of use, the chickens seemed uncomfortable with the openness of the ladder, and they would even trip now and then. It has worked well.

Back
Top Bottom