Orange Eglu Cube Coop

ISSOLA

Songster
11 Years
May 6, 2008
North Shore, MA
After having personally having invested time, money and labor to build a chicken coop (with help of husband), and having gotten attached to AND lost 2 small batches of chickens to predators over 2 years; I decided to take the giant leap and did what I never thought I would do - which is to buy the EGLU CUBE.

A fisher cat, and a group of raccoons got to my chickens. And it really, really hurts when that happens. Three separate occasions: broken feathers, and bodies strewn headless around outside and inside the wooden coop tell a sad, sad story.

So I did it. And here are the pics:
10034_p1000358.jpg

10034_p1000380.jpg

The larger wire mesh of the Eglu Cube, is a risk for intruding dexterous raccoon hands; hence, 1/2 inch wire mesh was attached to it with plastic ties. This was advised my fellow BYC angels4 too! (Thanks Mark...)
10034_p1000382.jpg

The GRUB feeder help decrease billing. Rain does not get into the feeder well.
10034_p1000402.jpg

Happy chickens, I think!
10034_p1000405.jpg

Nite nite into the coop...
10034_p1000366.jpg

Mark -- angels4 -- BYC member, allowed me to see his eglu cube, before I made my decision to purchase the coop. A big thanks to him; for sharing.

I put the chickens in there at 7 weeks old. At first, they slept below the eglu. So I decided to put them into the roosting area myself at dusk and close the eglu door. I let them out by 7 am. After two nights, they went up to roost nightly by themselves without any prompting.

The 1/2 inch wire mesh is important to anyone who lives near the woods. Our home is by conservation land. We have seen skunks, opposums, fisher cats, coyotes, foxes, and a family of raccoons. My husband calls it "night theater." We also get flying squirrels, and they attack the bird feeders.

We shall be placing chain-link fence flat on ground towards the woods where the soil is softer to prevent digging. There is a skirt of wire mesh surrounding the eglu cube, as part of its design; but I just want to be safer.

I don't want to lose anymore pets! Yes! THEY are PETS!

The only predator that can take this down, I think, is a bear; and perhaps - a very, very smart raccoon, who may in time, learn how to open the fence's door by lifting the run pin. AND if they get that smart, I'll eat my red sox hat.

Last edited:
It's been 2 years and I still love ours too. I was looking for a way to give the girls some extra shade this summer and found a beach umbrella in my garage that I don't use anymore. I zip tied it to the side. It's been great for giving the coop shade on hot days, and looks pretty too.

31373_umbrella_coop_sm_copy.jpeg

Hope the image works!

I love Omlet and the Eglu. I don't have a cube, but I have two GO houses which each house three girls. They lay me lots of eggs and we've had ZERO health problems in a year of chicken ownership. I'm actually going to either order a third Go or a Cube. Here is our setup....

The run by Raven Wren Designs, on Flickr

The other Go is behind that tarp. We had that setup when we were integrated the new girls. Now we have sand and soon a UV roof. I love how easy these babies are to clean. Our coops don't smell and no mites.

what is that big orange thing ion the first picture? I think the eglu makes a very good coop for some one who doesnt have the knowledge or time to build a coop. I love it!

That looks really easy to clean and I like the design of the food dish. How well does it ventilate? It is easy to lock up tight at night? I looked at a smaller version and it was very pricey. Yours looks even bigger. Dare I ask what it cost?
Kudos to you for doing what it takes to keep your girls safe, and thanks for sharing.

Is that a wild bird feeder right next to your run? Just a thought...you might want to move it. Wild birds do carry mites (among other things), and there's no reason to encourage them to hang out near your chickens.

ISSOLA !! Take it easy on the red sox hat! You know how it is.
Eat a Yankees hat if anything!
big_smile.png
Go Sox!
(I know, they just gave us a spanking, Oh well)

Quote:
I think you mean the big "GLUG" on the right? On the right of top pic is a nipple waterer. The "GLUG" is filled from the top opening. The chickens drink from bottom 3 nipples (can't see well).

I agree that it is a very good coop. I was amazed at the thought and sensibleness put into the design of this coop, as I was putting it together from the different pieces in the packaging. Just great for laying hens.

Back
Top Bottom