Orange mites?

HallChicks

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
I was looking at one of my 'ladies' a couple of days ago and noticed a few little orange mites/bugs crawling on her skin under her feathers. Is this normal? Is there a dust or medicine I should be applying? I only saw 4-5, but I am worried that this is the beginning of a big problem.

Yeah, most likely you were seeing feather lice. They are orange yellow. If you saw 4 or 5, there are probably hundreds on the bird. You can do a search on DE and use that for treatment or find another dust like seven or poultry dust. Don't worry about them getting on you though, they are species specific.

Thanks for your help!! I'll go tomorrow and find something
big_smile.png

If your interested go to " lice what Did I do wrong by sersndipity22

I submitted a natural treatment for mites and lice good luck

Dont leave it for too long, they can make the chicken very weak and unable to feed, and in the worst case even walk.
When I first started out with chickens I had a hen with lice .
She was so sick so I took her to vet and he saw the lice and told me the powder to get for her.
Pestene In (Australia) he said she would need 2 treatments a few days apart. Anyhow she got better very quickly even after the first powdering.
Ill always powder their houses from now on.

I covered the mother and the chicks in " lice and mite dust" a few days ago, but after looking at the sick chick they haven't gone.. I'm guessing the mother is covered in them even tho we have treated her every day for about 4 days..
I don't want to have to take the chicks away from her, but it seems like they will die if I don't..

Back
Top Bottom