1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Orange mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HallChicks, Sep 5, 2007.

1. HallChicks

HallChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2007
    I was looking at one of my 'ladies' a couple of days ago and noticed a few little orange mites/bugs crawling on her skin under her feathers. Is this normal? Is there a dust or medicine I should be applying? I only saw 4-5, but I am worried that this is the beginning of a big problem.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, most likely you were seeing feather lice. They are orange yellow. If you saw 4 or 5, there are probably hundreds on the bird. You can do a search on DE and use that for treatment or find another dust like seven or poultry dust. Don't worry about them getting on you though, they are species specific.

3. HallChicks

HallChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2007
    Thanks for your help!! I'll go tomorrow and find something [​IMG]

4. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    If your interested go to " lice what Did I do wrong by sersndipity22

I submitted a natural treatment for mites and lice good luck

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Food grade DE can be used as a dusting powder to get rid of lice & mites.

6. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dont leave it for too long, they can make the chicken very weak and unable to feed, and in the worst case even walk.
    When I first started out with chickens I had a hen with lice .
    She was so sick so I took her to vet and he saw the lice and told me the powder to get for her.
    Pestene In (Australia) he said she would need 2 treatments a few days apart. Anyhow she got better very quickly even after the first powdering.
    Ill always powder their houses from now on.

7. laurengeeves

laurengeeves Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2013
    England , Kent
    I've got a very sick 2 week old chick, with orange mite can anyone help me?:/

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you have an active infestation, I would treat with a poultry dust or something like seven dust. DE is controversial in how well it works in treatment.

9. laurengeeves

laurengeeves Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2013
    England , Kent
    I covered the mother and the chicks in " lice and mite dust" a few days ago, but after looking at the sick chick they haven't gone.. I'm guessing the mother is covered in them even tho we have treated her every day for about 4 days..
    I don't want to have to take the chicks away from her, but it seems like they will die if I don't..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by