Orange Yolk Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ParadiseChickens, Oct 29, 2011.

1. ParadiseChickens

ParadiseChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    I get about 5 eggs a day and while they are very good to eat, I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and when I see others have orange yolks, I want them too. I see this almost daily on Martha Stewart's show (she said she has about 200 chickens) during her cooking segments so I guess I should ask her, but dont think she would answer little ol me (LOL). Anyway, what can I do to attempt to get the deep rich color in yolks? It is not possible for me to allow free range, too many loose dogs in my rural area. Hens are young, have been laying about 2 months and eat Purina Layena, oyster shell free choice and plenty of fresh water.

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Lots of brightly colored veggie scraps, and marigold flowers. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  3. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Give them vegetable scraps and lawn clippings in addition to their normal feed. They love it and it adds to yolks color. In the winter I also give mine alfalfa hay.

4. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Give them almost anyting, they love protein rich things like yogurt and cream cheese.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    A handful of scratch grain tossed around each day would help too (and they Love Love Love it)

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Veggie and fruit scraps, grass clippings and bugs help to get a rich yolk. About once a month I go to Petsmart and buy 100 crickets. When I get home I pop the bag and dump them in the run. The chickens go WILD! It gives them extra protein and provides me with a great source of entertainment. Good luck!

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Anything high in beta carotene gives the orange yolks - spinach, chard, kale, parsley, cantaloupe, clover, etc.

8. heatherscreations1969

heatherscreations1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2011
    Derbyshire UK
    Lots of greens, weeds and a treat of mealworms twice a week [​IMG]

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    All of the above. That said, I have one hen that just plain lays a darker yolked egg than the others. Maybe she just likes greens more than the others, I don't know. But Tiger consistently lays a darker yolk along with the smallest egg of the bunch lol.

10. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Greens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by