Orange Yolk Eggs

ParadiseChickens

Songster
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
I get about 5 eggs a day and while they are very good to eat, I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and when I see others have orange yolks, I want them too. I see this almost daily on Martha Stewart's show (she said she has about 200 chickens) during her cooking segments so I guess I should ask her, but dont think she would answer little ol me (LOL). Anyway, what can I do to attempt to get the deep rich color in yolks? It is not possible for me to allow free range, too many loose dogs in my rural area. Hens are young, have been laying about 2 months and eat Purina Layena, oyster shell free choice and plenty of fresh water.

Lots of brightly colored veggie scraps, and marigold flowers.
smile.png

Last edited:
Give them vegetable scraps and lawn clippings in addition to their normal feed. They love it and it adds to yolks color. In the winter I also give mine alfalfa hay.

Veggie and fruit scraps, grass clippings and bugs help to get a rich yolk. About once a month I go to Petsmart and buy 100 crickets. When I get home I pop the bag and dump them in the run. The chickens go WILD! It gives them extra protein and provides me with a great source of entertainment. Good luck!

All of the above. That said, I have one hen that just plain lays a darker yolked egg than the others. Maybe she just likes greens more than the others, I don't know. But Tiger consistently lays a darker yolk along with the smallest egg of the bunch lol.

Back
Top Bottom