Orange Yolk Eggs

Carotenoid (Beta carotene), and Xanthophyll—both are natural plant pigments. When hens are able to eat green plant material or yellow corn the beta carotene concentrates in the yolk making it dark, sometimes even orange.

Food sources of beta-carotene/ Xanthophyll include sweet potatoes, carrots, green lettuce, kale, spinach, turnip greens, mustard greens, winter squash, collard greens, broccoli, peas, red and yellow peppers, corn, cilantro, fresh thyme apples, oranges, peaches, grapes, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, orange juice, and tomato juice.

Chris

Last edited:
I can't believe "orange is good"... I came on here to ask if it was okay that the yolks are dark orange. Looks weird scrambled...dark bright yellow eggs. Sometimes there are a few little solid dark pieces of orange in the yolks....is that okay? We have free range brown chickens. I don't know what kind. We had four but thanks to two hawks we're down to two left. We just got little peeps about two weeks ago. Eight yellow ones so I guess white chickens this time. Can you tell I'm a novice
frow.gif
I just wanted lighter colored yolks for company and baking. Do you think if these are free range like the brown chickens, their yolks will be orange too? Yikes! I think we're keep these penned anyway because of the occasional hawk. Thanks for reading. I feel better reading your post.

Our neighbor, who buys our eggs, can tell a difference in the yolks when we let them free range. They actually spend a lot of time under his citrus trees pecking at whatever has fallen on the ground. That could make for a new marketing catch phrase: "Vitamin C-charged Fresh Eggs" LOL

Like the others said, lots of greens equal orange yolks! I like to rake up the grass after mowing and dump it in the coop for them to scratch in and eat.

Back
Top Bottom