Ordered Chicks From My Pet Chicken - ???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by themenagerie, Sep 12, 2011.

1. themenagerie

themenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    I have been looking locally for some unusual breed chicks and have not had much luck. I decided to stop trying locally & placed an order with MPC for 6 chicks to arrive next week. I've never ordered chicks before, just gotten them at my feed store. After I ordered I started having doubts...how do so few chicks stay warm enough to survive the shipping?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I have ordered from MPC in the past (4 times). In cooler weather, they included a heat pack with the chicks to keep them warm. They should be fine! Congratulations-what did you order? [​IMG]

3. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I have ordered from MPC also- got 6 healthy chicks all nestled onto their heatpack- not at all stressed. Wonderful experience and I would do it again !

4. larsonll

larsonll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    West Georgia
    Me too. I got 5 chicks and all alive and well.

5. rpchris

rpchris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Saint Louis, MO
    Quote:Ditto. All 5 alive and thriving.

6. themenagerie

themenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    Welsummers. I've been wanting to add some dark brown egg layers, been looking for them or BCM's locally but couldn't find anything. They're not all that "unusual", just hard to find I guess.
    Does MPC send "packing peanuts" or can I expect to get just the number of peeps that I ordered?

7. larsonll

Aug 13, 2011
    West Georgia
    Does MPC send "packing peanuts" or can I expect to get just the number of peeps that I ordered?

If you mean more chicks by "packing peanuts", please see the following thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=565495

I suggest you do not check the box for any extras upon checkout.

If you really meant packing peanuts, mine came with straw in the box. [​IMG]

8. newchick13

newchick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    I ordered 10 of their brown layer mix (got 4 red comets, 3 New Hampshires, 2 RIR, 1 Barred Rock) and 3 EE this past july. They were hatched on July 5th and I received them on the 6th. All very cute and very healthy. I did end up with 2 Roos (i think) which is slightly less than their guaranteed 90% pullets but I am holding back on calling them just in case the two in question are just early developers. I would order from them again simply because 1)they can sex them 2) previous good experience 3) they are only about an hour away which lessens shipping time.

9. larsonll

Aug 13, 2011
    West Georgia
    Quote:Were any of the EE's the roos? I ordered 5 of them, and know they take a long time to turnout as the obvious sex.

10. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I ordered 5 chicks from them due the week of 26th. I wish I had ordered a closer date [​IMG] but I wanted a mix and some breeds were not available until then.

I Hope they are true to their ordering instructions, I had two options substitute chicks, and substitute date if it means getting oder sooner. I was clear I could only take 5 chicks, and cold hardy ones at that! I said they could substitute a breed example I ordered a BO an Autralorp and dominique and 2 red star sex links, I wouldnt mind 2 of each if they are out of one..

We are building our coop now and it wont be large enough for more than 5 or 6 at the most!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by