Ordered Chicks From My Pet Chicken - ???

themenagerie

Songster
8 Years
Jun 8, 2011
I have been looking locally for some unusual breed chicks and have not had much luck. I decided to stop trying locally & placed an order with MPC for 6 chicks to arrive next week. I've never ordered chicks before, just gotten them at my feed store. After I ordered I started having doubts...how do so few chicks stay warm enough to survive the shipping?

Last edited:
I have ordered from MPC in the past (4 times). In cooler weather, they included a heat pack with the chicks to keep them warm. They should be fine! Congratulations-what did you order?
wee.gif

I have ordered from MPC also- got 6 healthy chicks all nestled onto their heatpack- not at all stressed. Wonderful experience and I would do it again !

Welsummers. I've been wanting to add some dark brown egg layers, been looking for them or BCM's locally but couldn't find anything. They're not all that "unusual", just hard to find I guess.
Does MPC send "packing peanuts" or can I expect to get just the number of peeps that I ordered?

Last edited:
I ordered 10 of their brown layer mix (got 4 red comets, 3 New Hampshires, 2 RIR, 1 Barred Rock) and 3 EE this past july. They were hatched on July 5th and I received them on the 6th. All very cute and very healthy. I did end up with 2 Roos (i think) which is slightly less than their guaranteed 90% pullets but I am holding back on calling them just in case the two in question are just early developers. I would order from them again simply because 1)they can sex them 2) previous good experience 3) they are only about an hour away which lessens shipping time.

I ordered 5 chicks from them due the week of 26th. I wish I had ordered a closer date
sad.png
but I wanted a mix and some breeds were not available until then.

I Hope they are true to their ordering instructions, I had two options substitute chicks, and substitute date if it means getting oder sooner. I was clear I could only take 5 chicks, and cold hardy ones at that! I said they could substitute a breed example I ordered a BO an Autralorp and dominique and 2 red star sex links, I wouldnt mind 2 of each if they are out of one..

We are building our coop now and it wont be large enough for more than 5 or 6 at the most!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom