Ordered some horizontal water nipples.

I LOVE THEM! Directions say to wait until the chicks are about 8 days old but I have found depending. Pack comes in 5 Horizontal Nipples so I made 2 containers, one for chicks & another for adults ... Purchased a 8pc (container + lids) set from Walmart, worked out cause 2 for water & 2 for my FF.

Follow the directions for installing the nipples AND drill a small hole to the top of the rim for venting. Directions don't say it but Hubby says common sense (duh), couldn't figure out why the water wasn't coming out ... Venting works! I also marked a fill line so I could monitor the drinking, if you measure out the water (32oz, 64oz) helps when needing to medicate in the water.

I've found some will take to it easy but then you got the hold outs. From the start I try getting the chicks used to my hand, so when ready to introduce the nipples, they're not afraid of my hand & will come see what I've got going. I don't leave the qt waterer in. Tapping under the sliver part the water dispense, once one gets it the rest will copy.

I've tried showing/teaching adults & older pullets, they do take a bit longer. Again I get them used to my hand, freeze dried mealworms, they'll come check out what my finger's touching. I always tap the nipple, they'll drink up then what happens is when ever I change their water, they'll be waiting at the spot for be to return & tap.

IF you're fermenting their feed, you probably won't see that much of a water level drop.

EDITED - Not 8wks, 8 days sorry
Interesting and thanks for the feedback. I have been working with my chicks to get them used to my hand as well. Yes the vent is important so it doesn't create a vacuum. I have been checking out some YouTube videos on various watering systems.
Many have mentioned a plan b for water using traditional water fonts or bowls. Probably the most common fear expressed is the chickens getting enough water. The transition I think will be easier than I expect.

I have the materials to start a meal worm farm as well. Guess I'll have some spoiled chickens in the future.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with horizontal nipples. Use an 11/32 drill bit to make the hole and leave 2 - 3 threads showing when you screw them in, do not screw them all the way in. I start my chicks on them at 2 - 3 weeks, with a one gallon pitcher in the brooder. I've also had good results introducing older chickens to use them. I use gamma lids on my waterers and feeders, the whole thing snaps onto any 5/7 gallon bucket and then you just spin the lid on and off. IMO, it's a lot easier than snapping a lid on and off. If you use one for a waterer, just leave the lid a quarter turn loose and the water will flow. I use cap blocks under my waterers and feeders for a stable foundation. To keep the water and nipples from freezing, I use a 250 watt stock tank deicer. To run the cord through the lid, I bought the two items(from Lowes) shown in a pic below. I drilled a 2 inch hole in the lid and I slit the rubber grommet so it would wrap around the deicer cord, then stuck the rubber grommet in the computer grommet.
20170423_140822.jpg

20170422_105015.jpg

Horizontal nipple.jpg

grommets for deicer cord.jpg

deicer cord.jpg

I've been using horizontal nipples for 3 years and love them. Especially like them in the winter. In the winter I use a 10 gallon tote, the horizontal nipples, and a stock tank deicer that is okay to use in plastic. It's enough to keep my chickens in water for over a week and it's never frozen even when it was -22 F. It's easy to see when it needs filled as the tote is semi clear. The chickens were using the nipples within a few hours of putting the new waterer in the coop.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with horizontal nipples. Use an 11/32 drill bit to make the hole and leave 2 - 3 threads showing when you screw them in, do not screw them all the way in. I start my chicks on them at 2 - 3 weeks, with a one gallon pitcher in the brooder. I've also had good results introducing older chickens to use them. I use gamma lids on my waterers and feeders, the whole thing snaps onto any 5/7 gallon bucket and then you just spin the lid on and off. IMO, it's a lot easier than snapping a lid on and off. If you use one for a waterer, just leave the lid a quarter turn loose and the water will flow. I use cap blocks under my waterers and feeders for a stable foundation. To keep the water and nipples from freezing, I use a 250 watt stock tank deicer. To run the cord through the lid, I bought the two items(from Lowes) shown in a pic below. I drilled a 2 inch hole in the lid and I slit the rubber grommet so it would wrap around the deicer cord, then stuck the rubber grommet in the computer grommet. View attachment 1469757
View attachment 1469756
View attachment 1469766
View attachment 1469814
View attachment 1469792
Thanks for the detailed information. My water nipples will be here Wednesday so will get started.

After a lot of research, I decided to go with the horizontal water nipples. I found a couple threads on this in this forum. How many of you are using them and how do you like/dislike them?
I made some waterers with different types of chicken nipples and my chickens cant really use them, so just mainly using the standard type chicken waterer. I feel like my chickens drink so much water in the hot weather and I don't know if they could get enough with the nipples. I wish they could use them because it seems so much more sanitary.

FYI i got my vertical chicken nipple/5gal water on two blocks TODAY! The spacing is tight because its a limited surface area and was already assembled with hanging in mind. But it just worked. I used a full cinder block (perpendicular to nipple placement on bucket) under a half block the bucket sits on. The blocks were maybe $5 total.

I use them, and with the current heat, I've also got a 'trough' style waterer available to them. I add vitamins/electrolytes to the trough waterer, not to the nipple waterer, to avoid gumming it up. Some birds drink from one, some from the other - the EE's like to get a drink from the trough, then go get a drink from the nipples, so I figure they don't much like the taste of the vitamins. If anything, I think they can get more water from the nipples, because I have the waterer elevated - they don't have to bend down get a beak full, then stand up to drink, they just hunch down and stick their beak in, drinking as the water flows. It certainly stays cleaner in the nipple waterer. I drilled a hole in the lid to prevent a vacuum effect inside, though if I make another one I'll drill the hole in the side just below the top instead... since all the chickens like to sit on top of the bucket. I keep a board on top now to keep them from miraculously managing to poop directly on the ventilation hole.

I use them, and with the current heat, I've also got a 'trough' style waterer available to them. I add vitamins/electrolytes to the trough waterer, not to the nipple waterer, to avoid gumming it up. Some birds drink from one, some from the other - the EE's like to get a drink from the trough, then go get a drink from the nipples, so I figure they don't much like the taste of the vitamins. If anything, I think they can get more water from the nipples, because I have the waterer elevated - they don't have to bend down get a beak full, then stand up to drink, they just hunch down and stick their beak in, drinking as the water flows. It certainly stays cleaner in the nipple waterer. I drilled a hole in the lid to prevent a vacuum effect inside, though if I make another one I'll drill the hole in the side just below the top instead... since all the chickens like to sit on top of the bucket. I keep a board on top now to keep them from miraculously managing to poop directly on the ventilation hole.
It would make sense that if the nipples were at a comfortable level they would get more water. Indeed it is essential to be mindful of the behaviors and changes during heat. We have been having days with temps in the mid 90s all month. Yesterday I put out a dusting mixture of peat moss, soil, and wood ash for them in a shady portion of the yard. They love it.

Back
Top Bottom