Absarokee, Montana
ya.gif

woot.gif

celebrate.gif

wee.gif

jumpy.gif

jumpy.gif

jumpy.gif

just ordered 7 black silkie chicks a st run so Im hoping I get some girls lol hahahaaaaa.

Very cool! - I got mine back in the spring - I have 1 buff hen, 1 black hen & 1 black rooster.

I started out with several more - I kept the hens & removed the roosters with the above mentioned exception.

They are really cool.

Be sure to feed them treats when they are a week old or so - that way when they are grown up they will follow you around.

I usually don't give treats until the third week, give the chicks digestive system time to settle down and that it works right. I start out with very soft foods(ones that can digest with the saliva and normal stomach acids), scramble eggs is good for protein while they are feathering. My babies are now 3 weeks and they love cooked and mushed sweet potatoes, watermelon, scrambled eggs. I also add grit to their food so they can digest grains and I will start that this week. I will wait a bit longer before giving them scratch, but once they are outside I give them scratch in the evenings to encourage them to roost, and gives them something to look for while scratching the bedding.

Enjoy your babies
thumbsup.gif

Ok!!!! Another question....do they need grit if their outside run is on (florida)sand flooring?? Also, scratch encourages them roost? Im a newbie so im soaking in all this wonderful advise
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom