Ordering Chicks This Spring From MYC....

ChickenGirl555

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 22, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
(When I posted I meant MPC not MYC!!!)
I'm most likely going to order 3 polish chicks from MyPetChicken this spring, and I've heard of many potential bad things that could happen during shipment. Luckily Ohio (Where the hatchery is) is not far from Wisconsin so they won't take that long once shipped, but I've also heard of contacting the Post Office and nutridrench, but then I asked a MyPetChicken agent and they said they will just need some time to calm down, and give them regular chick things (Water, food, heat lamp, shavings, etc.).

Can somebody help give me a kinda overall explanation on what happens in this process? And also advice? Especially about the water and energy because some people say use normal water and others say put stuff in it. Please remember the distance and how I'm in south part of Wisconsin when talking about shipping!

Mypetchicken hatchery is about a 5 hour drive away from me and from where you live i'm guessing it doesn't take much longer then that. I would give them normal water and feed for them when they first arive and make sure they have a heat lamp ready. If you notice they're acting a bit sluggish or sickly you can add something in the water. It really ins't that complicated. All you need is a container to put them in with wood (Pine is recommended, Cedar is poisonous for them) shavings in it, A heat lamp hanging above it and right below were they chicks would stand should be between 95-100 degrees Make sure they have room for them to get away from the heat lamp as well. And all you will need to provide is water and chick started in a small tray or feeder/waterer. And thats pretty much it.

I add electrolytes to the wate. My chicks seem to be much stronger. I also use medicated chick feed.
This helps to protect against cocidiosis. (Not sure if I spelled that right.) LOL Also helps prevent other diseases. Of course keep them warm. Around 99 degrees the first 5 days then step down 5 degrees a week. Not everyone uses the same procedure. You'll get more useful info from other members. . Good luck.

I add electrolytes to the wate. My chicks seem to be much stronger. I also use medicated chick feed.
This helps to protect against cocidiosis. (Not sure if I spelled that right.) LOL Also helps prevent other diseases. Of course keep them warm. Around 99 degrees the first 5 days then step down 5 degrees a week. Not everyone uses the same procedure. You'll get more useful info from other members. . Good luck.
Thanks, I'd also like to mention these aren't my first chicks, just the first chicks I'll have ordered. My first flock of 5 month pullets and 2, 1 and a half month pullet and cockerel came from local places I just drove to that day. (Local feed mill, and petting farm) I just want to order them since the mill won't have sexed polish, and I'll be giving away any boys.

Back
Top Bottom