ordering eggs for hatching from us to uk

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by muddy moon, Mar 17, 2018.

1. muddy moon

muddy moon Chirping

Aug 20, 2014
    Hi I was wondering how easy or viable it would be ordering eggs for hatching from usa to UK would it be as simple as ordering and getting posted or not also would the eggs survive the trip with a chance of still being viable to hatch ?? Thanks in advance

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Your chances of getting eggs through international customs are non existent! But, wouldn't it be fun to just order eggs from across the pond???

aart and AlleysChicks like this.
  3. muddy moon

muddy moon Chirping

Aug 20, 2014
    It would and some breeds are obviously easier to get in us and some in UK I think silkies are hard to come by in us but over here they are quite popular I think I paid £3 a bird from my local market

4. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    IMHO shipped eggs can barely make it from state to state over here. Customs would not allow them although I dont know the laws governing someone actually taking them on a flight for you especially if they came from a registered breeder with certificates and all that.... Having someone actually transport them for you would up the chances of survival significantly. It would be a very expensive venture. You gotta really, really want those chickens. You might actually do better looking to your European neighbors. Lots and lots of varieties there. Good luck.

5. muddy moon

muddy moon Chirping

Aug 20, 2014
    Must admit royal mail is pretty good with eggs here I ordered several last year and had no breakages at all can't comment on fertility though was my first year incubating and was using cheep generic Chinese incubators learnt alot though now useing brinsea and rcom

6. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Yup, nothing like losing money and beloved chicks to lousy machines to make you really appreciate an incubator that does it's job.

7. CCUK

CCUK Free Flying

Jan 21, 2018
    North Notts, UK
    My Coop
    What breeds are you looking for? In the classified section of practical poultry magazine there are lots of breeders with many different breeds. It would be good to get eggs posted because some breeds really don't seem to exist outside of US such as the Amerucauna. Some other breeds are difficult to find as well. I quite like the ayem cemani. Never seen them in UK then 1 cockeral and two hens appeared on a FB post but sold immediately!

8. muddy moon

muddy moon Chirping

Aug 20, 2014
    I have seen ayem cemani at Norwich market and eggs on ebay

9. muddy moon

muddy moon Chirping

Aug 20, 2014
    Found a uk supplier of ayem eggs £36 guessing per egg

10. muddy moon

muddy moon Chirping

Aug 20, 2014
    No x12 eggs