Ordering spring chicks....so much fun. What did you get?

Pics
I find ordering new chicks so much fun. I have a small backyard (front yard) flock and just ordered 4 new chicks for the spring. I am excited to learn what you ordered/plan to order or are excited for the 2023 year. I ordered a salmon faverolle, a bielefeder, a buff orpington and a lakeside egger. What did you get or are planning to get?
We ordered from a family-owned feed store we want to support, so their selection is pretty small and they have an order minimum of 6 chicks per breed. We ordered 6 barred rocks and 6 Easter eggers. I would have loved to have a more diverse flock, but it was more important to me to give the local store the business. Maybe in the future when we’re replacing older hens we’ll order a few at a time from Meyer.

We ordered from a family-owned feed store we want to support, so their selection is pretty small and they have an order minimum of 6 chicks per breed. We ordered 6 barred rocks and 6 Easter eggers. I would have loved to have a more diverse flock, but it was more important to me to give the local store the business. Maybe in the future when we’re replacing older hens we’ll order a few at a time from Meyer.
Also check around - the local feed store I usually buy from just ships in a variety each week. So you may not be able to get your top 4 breeds, since they pick what it is each week, but there would be chickens from 4 breeds to choose from. If that makes sense.

Also check around - the local feed store I usually buy from just ships in a variety each week. So you may not be able to get your top 4 breeds, since they pick what it is each week, but there would be chickens from 4 breeds to choose from. If that makes sense.
This feed store is VERY small. It only brings in chicks that customers have specifically ordered. They don’t keep any in-store for people to choose from.

This feed store is VERY small. It only brings in chicks that customers have specifically ordered. They don’t keep any in-store for people to choose from.
Yeah, I have to drive to the next town over. But I figure it’s still cheaper than ordering online and I support a small business.

Considering this year going to two places, hence the TSC question. One of my kids is very attached to the idea of a buff orpington, so if our go-to doesn’t have any then we may go find one. We used to have a buff orp he really loved and he wants to have another. But planning to check the two locally owned options first.

Just ordered from Mt Healthy and have 8 chicks coming at the end of March. Warning they don’t let you select your ship date like many other hatcheries! I wanted them later because I live in CO and the weather is generally cold and always unpredictable. That said they’re shipping 3/29 which is the same date I got chicks last spring with zero losses in shipment (featherloverfarms wont be purchasing from there again for reasons other than shipment)

I ordered 2 of each of the following:
Americana
Olive Egger
Welsummer
Unique and Rare surprise chick

Currently I have Silver Laced Barnevelders that will be 1 in March and a Polish Roo

I ordered 10 (1 box) of the assorted sapphire pullets from Tractor Supply/Hoover's. I ordered on January 20 and they hatched today. Should arrive 2/16 first thing even though the shipping label says ONE WEEK! they used to only pad the delivery estimate by a DAY! I always try my best to take the delivery date with a grain of salt. Hoping for the best, since they'll be at the Minneapolis DC when it's very cold there, hopefully leaving before the wind hits, and arrive at Phoenix DC when it's freezing there, then up to my post office where it'll be less than 20 degrees! I hate that you can't time the orders through TSC, but if I'd waited and ordered through Hoover's, I'd have to order more chicks, and it'd cost more.

If you call the feed store or go there, they might have a schedule, at least the one near me does. It's all pre-planned and pre-ordered and they let their customers know in advance so they can get the breeds they want.

If you call the feed store or go there, they might have a schedule, at least the one near me does. It's all pre-planned and pre-ordered and they let their customers know in advance so they can get the breeds they want.
That sounds nice. I would’ve loved to pick mine up from the local feed store but they said they were unsure if they vaccinate for Mereks (I had two pass from last years chicks after transitioning outside from what looked like Mereks despite being vaccinated so taking the precautions I can) and they were like yeeeeah we get whatever the hatchery sends us 🤷

Back
Top Bottom