Ordinance boundries

GBov

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
How do I find out where the NO CHICKEN boundries are in a town? No less than 1.75 miles from here there are chickens and goats and horses and the like but here we are houses and yards. Is there a place to find a map or the like?

Well, you can start by looking at the legal description of your property (should be on the deed). Then call the city/town clerk and ask what zoning district you are in, and whether you can access zoning code and other ordinances online. Skim through all preliminary zoning information and read the section for your zoning closely. Pay attention to permitted uses, and make sure you find out the rules of construction (that is why you need to skim/read through the material upfront. In many cases a use must be specified to be permitted; if not mentioned, it is not permitted; however if there is not a written statement saying that, it would be the opposite. Also look through any ordinances that seem related to animals.

Have found our zoning map but it comes with no key
roll.png

To my inexperienced eye it looks like we are surrounded on 3 sides by people who CAN have chickens but we cant. Our neighborhood looks like a spear into an agg zone. Will keep looking but dont think chickens are going to fly round here.

On the plus side, have found a live stock meet and swap quite local to here. It starts up again in the new year so will go see what I can buy instead of raise.

If you are that close, you may be able to have your property re-zoned (I am assuming that your property is surrounded on three sides, not just your neighborhood). There is also a question as to whether small backyard flocks are allowed. Call the zoning office and ask the question. Also be sure to ask for specific references in the ordinances/code.

Quote:
I figured out the map and I had our neighboorhood all wrong lol so when I did find it PROPERLY we are SO in the R1 zone
sad.png
and having found the ordinances on line this little town is MEGA against anything feathery or furry, no chickens, turkey, ducks or geese, or pigs or goats or ponies! All loop holes stitched shut
barnie.gif

Am annoyed that we cant have even a pet pig (well, it would be a pet for awhile
wink.png
) but will keep plugging away with the plans and till then, there are fruit trees to be planted - when and as they are on sale - and a garden to put in, oh, and a house to unpack
lau.gif
I keep forgetting that bit
gig.gif

At least I have sorted our turkey for CHristmas, a Narr. so it should have a bit more taste than the horrid shop boughten one we had for Thanksgiving!

Back
Top Bottom