Ordinance Preventing Chickens...

0D21F0BD-3933-4C0B-B424-DE68D9FBD45A.jpeg

Hello, my name is Eli and I am new here. I actually signed up in hopes that I may be able to get through to other people who live in Portage Indiana. A few weeks ago I emailed the city of Portage (Indiana) to see if they would be loosening up on the restrictions that prevent Portage residence from owning chickens (ducks and rabbits) and I got a pretty quick response back from them saying "not at this time". My hope is that if I am able to get through to enough people who also live in Portage Indiana and we bombard them with enough calls and emails about this and bring up the fact that we are in a world wide pandemic due to the virus, which has caused farmers to destroy crops, milk, and eggs, because the distribution line has been broken that we may be able to get this ordinance changed.
So, if there are any others out there from Portage Indiana please let me know and if there are enough of us we may be able to get that ordinance removed or changed.
:welcome :frowBetter late than never. Next time the city meets go to a meeting and bring up the subject. Be prepared. There are several posts/threads on BYC from members who have done this in the past with some good advice. Good luck and have fun...

Hello, my name is Eli and I am new here. I actually signed up in hopes that I may be able to get through to other people who live in Portage Indiana. A few weeks ago I emailed the city of Portage (Indiana) to see if they would be loosening up on the restrictions that prevent Portage residence from owning chickens (ducks and rabbits) and I got a pretty quick response back from them saying "not at this time". My hope is that if I am able to get through to enough people who also live in Portage Indiana and we bombard them with enough calls and emails about this and bring up the fact that we are in a world wide pandemic due to the virus, which has caused farmers to destroy crops, milk, and eggs, because the distribution line has been broken that we may be able to get this ordinance changed.
So, if there are any others out there from Portage Indiana please let me know and if there are enough of us we may be able to get that ordinance removed or changed.
I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I'm also from Portage and am wanting some (legal!) hens. Has there been anything organized to try to get this to happen? It may be easier to make it happen now that Porter County allows it, and Chesterton and Valparaiso have also made it legal.

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I'm also from Portage and am wanting some (legal!) hens. Has there been anything organized to try to get this to happen? It may be easier to make it happen now that Porter County allows it, and Chesterton and Valparaiso have also made it legal.
It's not only an older thread but the person who created it and to whom you replied has never been back since making it over 2 years ago.
Have you visited your local governing office to inquire if any change has been made? If they are still not legal, investigate if neighboring municipalities or similarly structured nearby counties do allow them and under what restrictions then start a petition to make a change. Good luck.

It's not only an older thread but the person who created it and to whom you replied has never been back since making it over 2 years ago.
Have you visited your local governing office to inquire if any change has been made? If they are still not legal, investigate if neighboring municipalities or similarly structured nearby counties do allow them and under what restrictions then start a petition to make a change. Good luck.
Yes, I didn't notice that about the OP but figured it wouldn't hurt to chime in anyway. I did also "like"(? not sure of the terminology around here, I'm brand new.) all other messages of those who claimed to be from my city in hopes of getting some support from them.
I have contacted the code enforcement office, and yes they are still not legal. I've also contacted my zone council person but I am sure that will lead nowhere.
Thank you for your suggestions. I hope that we can get things changing soon.

Yes, I didn't notice that about the OP but figured it wouldn't hurt to chime in anyway. I did also "like"(? not sure of the terminology around here, I'm brand new.) all other messages of those who claimed to be from my city in hopes of getting some support from them.
I have contacted the code enforcement office, and yes they are still not legal. I've also contacted my zone council person but I am sure that will lead nowhere.
Thank you for your suggestions. I hope that we can get things changing soon.
Best of luck !!

There was a story I read about a Girl Scout who convinced (after a great presentation) her town/city to allow them. It worked!

Back
Top Bottom