Oregano oil works for cocci and worms, it works!

Because if a bird will have much worms you can see some even if you don’t treat a bird and have not read any article or study which is mentioning or confirming this.
I'm going to have to agree - It sounds like he's saying that you can't really tell if the oregano treats worms, because they might poop out worms at any time with or without treatment, and you therefore couldn't be sure whether it was caused by oregano or not.

Not true,
-Kathy

If you think about it Kathy, what he said is correct. While it is true that "a bird can have worms and may or may not poop them out. And some worms are too small to see, like capillary and cecal worms." What Pfa was saying is that..the fact that I gave my bird sunflowers and that bird passed a worm, does not necessarily mean that sunflowers kill worms.

Last edited:
I will post pictures so everyone can see how small cecal worms are and how easily the could be missed even when pooped out.

KsKingBee, that chick you lost to roundworms, did you see worms in it's poop before it died?

-Kathy

The picture I posted with the two worms after treating that chick are the ONLY worms I have ever seen in poo. I have looked and looked and never seen any even after treating the entire flock and having them contained in a pen where I should have been able to see them. The vet told me that they are usually absorbed in the birds system. That is the reason that some birds will die because of the toxic shock of too many worms decaying in the bird.

I'm going to have to agree - It sounds like he's saying that you can't really tell if the oregano treats worms, because they might poop out worms at any time with or without treatment, and you therefore couldn't be sure whether it was caused by oregano or not.

Yes, I read his post as saying that it works for sure on coccidia, but he isn't as certain if it works on worms. Reinhold, I would very much like to know how much ground oregano you are using to supplement in the feed, and what kind you use.

It appears that thymol (one of the ingredients in oregano and thyme) was a standard worm treatment in the U.S. before World War 1... in humans. So it must have some effectiveness, I just don't know about safety and appropriate quantities. But I'm not opposed to trying it, I just want to proceed cautiously and with solid information.

Because if a bird will have much worms you can see some even if you don’t treat a bird and have not read any article or study which is mentioning or confirming this.

Not true,
-Kathy

If you think about it Kathy, what he said is correct.  While it is true that "a bird can have worms and may or may not poop them out. And some worms are too small to see, like capillary and cecal worms."  What Pfa was saying is that..the fact that I gave my bird sunflowers and that bird passed a worm, does not necessarily mean that sunflowers kill worms.

Said like that that I understand. Again, sorry, no offense intended.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Kathy you are right, you have to be ever so careful not to aspirate (get any into lungs.)
I try to avoid that by very gently prying beaks open and just putting inside the front edge and kind of let them do the swallowing. I only use 2 to 3 drops, just a small amount so they can swallow it on their own.

Last edited:
It appears that thymol (one of the ingredients in oregano and thyme) was a standard worm treatment in the U.S. before World War 1... in humans. So it must have some effectiveness, I just don't know about safety and appropriate quantities. But I'm not opposed to trying it, I just want to proceed cautiously and with solid information.

Thymol is used in beekeeping to kill parasites both inside and outside the bee.

Back
Top Bottom