Oregano oil works for cocci and worms, it works!

Pics

thndrdancr

Songster
12 Years
Mar 30, 2007
Belleville, Kansas
I don't know how many of you are into homeopathic remedies but one I have found that is excellent is oregano oil mixed in olive oil.
Its a very harsh and caustic oil so it HAS to be diluted but it will worm them and it appears to kill cocci almost instantly as well.
Been great for treating my pea babies because sometimes they don't look sick one minute and the next are at deaths door. About tablespoon of oil and 4 drops of oregano oil mixed in a cup and then droppered into the edge of their beaks so it doesn't go down wrong pipe. That much should treat 4 or 5 birds.

Oregano oil is pricey tho at health food stores. Online is much cheaper but those are only places you can get it.

Its saved quite a few of my birds now, had my flock rooster go down last week, found him in coop laying on side with head laying on ground. I didn't think I could save him but brought him in house and dosed him, within 2 hours he expelled a huge roundworm and up and runnin about!

Last edited:
This thread has been cleaned up and unlocked. For those who need a refresher the BYC rules can be found here .

It is okay to have a difference of opinions. It's not okay to argue or belittle other members for their views. Please keep all posts respectful, and family friendly. If you don't like the topic please move on to something else. Thank you.

oldhenlikesdogs

Last edited:
It is correct, oregano is works against cocci. Turkeys are very sensitive against cocci and here in Europe it is forbidden now to put precautionary chemicals into the food.
In an official study they found out that cocci problems are possible to prevent if you mix oregano powder into the Turkey feed. I do this now since two years with my green peafowl and don’t have problems anymore. Based on my experiences green peafowl are more sensitive against cocci than IB.
That oregano works well for worms I cannot confirm. Here I have some big question marks. Because if a bird will have much worms you can see some even if you don’t treat a bird and have not read any article or study which is mentioning or confirming this.
Not true, a bird can have worms and may or may not poop them out. And some worms are too small to see, like capillary and cecal worms.

-Kathy

Some more light reading for you guys ;)

Attachments

• IMG_5764.png
    IMG_5764.png
    303.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5765.png
    IMG_5765.png
    297.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5766.png
    IMG_5766.png
    448 KB · Views: 6
I will post pictures so everyone can see how small cecal worms are and how easily the could be missed even when pooped out.

KsKingBee, that chick you lost to roundworms, did you see worms in it's poop before it died?

-Kathy

Oh, if that's the reason. If you open their beak, you can easily see the tube (which is the trachea). If you put the medicine past the opening you will have no problem with them aspirating it.
Lol, I know that!
wink.png
I am the queen of tubing and oral drenches!

From:http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm
The hole at the back of the tongue is the trachea - Nothing should ever go in there!

-Kathy

I personally am not comfortable because I aspirated a baby robin once with kaytee so I am paranoid about it.

If a person feels comfortable with it by all means whatever works for them.

I have one with a dropper already in it, the brand is Herbal Authority alcohol free oil of oregano. That one apparently already has olive oil mixed in and its not as strong as the absolutely pure ones. Not a prob since the pure ones have to be diluted anyhow.

The other one I have is Aromaappeal, bought from Puritan's Pride. It is a powerhouse one. That one says external use only but I do use it, just am careful not to use too much. Its not an exact science, I try not to get it so strong that will do harm, yet strong enough to kill cocci. I have noticed it has a quicker effect than Corid. Usually with chickens I can get Corid down soon enough, but with peas they go down so fast I was desperate, and after doing research tried it after an outbreak one very rainy summer where I kept losing them left and right.

I know this is reviving an old thread. I tried oregeno oil last night for all my birds. I have them 2 drops in their mouth. They were not happy, but this morning there was no worms. This stuff is so expensive, I paid $30 for a small bottle at the herb store.
I was kinda bummed. I guess I'll try garlic.
do they have worms?

Interestingly, I read a study on the efficacy of oregano vs a coccidia medication, and even when large doses of oregano were (300 mg/kg), the coccidia medication was more effective in treating coccidia.

Back
Top Bottom