Oregano oil works for cocci and worms, it works!

I don't know how many of you are into homeopathic remedies but one I have found that is excellent is oregano oil mixed in olive oil.
Its a very harsh and caustic oil so it HAS to be diluted but it will worm them and it appears to kill cocci almost instantly as well.
Been great for treating my pea babies because sometimes they don't look sick one minute and the next are at deaths door. About tablespoon of oil and 4 drops of oregano oil mixed in a cup and then droppered into the edge of their beaks so it doesn't go down wrong pipe. That much should treat 4 or 5 birds.

Oregano oil is pricey tho at health food stores. Online is much cheaper but those are only places you can get it.

Its saved quite a few of my birds now, had my flock rooster go down last week, found him in coop laying on side with head laying on ground. I didn't think I could save him but brought him in house and dosed him, within 2 hours he expelled a huge roundworm and up and runnin about!
Would like to thank you for your post. I had a sick chicken and tried the oil of oregano and Extra virgin olive oil and gave her 2 doses 2 days apart in her beak and she is now running around with the others. I lost my other chicken about 4 months ago and unfortunately I hadn’t found your post in time. Brings me comfort to have this on hand in case it happens again.

Would like to thank you for your post. I had a sick chicken and tried the oil of oregano and Extra virgin olive oil and gave her 2 doses 2 days apart in her beak and she is now running around with the others. I lost my other chicken about 4 months ago and unfortunately I hadn’t found your post in time. Brings me comfort to have this on hand in case it happens again.
Those did not heal your chicken. Chickens are like cockroaches they can survive incredible amounts of stress and adversity before even showing symptoms. Neither of those did anything for the chicken. Correllation does not equal causation.

There is a place for western medicines and there is also a place for homeopathic/natural preventatives and remedies. Each approach has value in different contexts and the two do not have to be mutually exclusive.

Regardless of whether there is science, anecdotal evidence, generational knowledge etc. about a specific thing, and regardless of what we choose to believe or adopt in our own practices — I don’t think the mockery and dismissal of First Nations traditions and spirituality in this thread is acceptable.

No science no dice.
A lot of "scientific research" is not done in a proper test environment because it's often too expensive for them to get funding for, so even science itself is dicey when it comes to what is and isn't an effective treatment. On top of that, where there is little government intervention or regulations companies can pay to get the results they do want or the public leans heavily on confirmation bias from one study done in a completely different area. While there might be a lot of confirmation bias around oregano or other herbal remedies, much of the medications we used initially came from plants so it seems a little unfair to completely disregard herbal medicine. Not saying that it will always be effective, but science does have to start somewhere.

totally incorrect, I am a scientist and these are the attitudes that we fight against every day in my field.
Science is an amazing tool when properly used in the field. I have no issues with science or scientists - I think they do amazing work. I'm only speaking from my experience in the world of animal nutrition. I have watched a lot of waves of 'super nutrition' hypes come from one or two improperly done or isolated experiments and everyone runs out to start feeding the thing in question believing in the 'science' behind it when they don't even understand the science used.
Most famous (and highly controversial) example is the usage of ivermectin to cure covid. The experiment results people claim as proof was something not really viable in real world conditions, only in a lab setting. And the positive results were from doctors prescribing human ivermectin to people with high parasitic loads which happened to boost their immune system since they weren't fighting off the effects of worms so they were then more able to use their body's resources to fight the virus. People in the west took that and started claiming that ivermectin cures covid and then went out to buy animal ivermectin. The results of that are organ damage due to wrong dosage.
Science is excellent when applied properly by everyone. Unfortunately not everyone applies it right.
If I offended you, my apologies. I can only speak from my experience.

It is correct, oregano is works against cocci. Turkeys are very sensitive against cocci and here in Europe it is forbidden now to put precautionary chemicals into the food.
In an official study they found out that cocci problems are possible to prevent if you mix oregano powder into the Turkey feed. I do this now since two years with my green peafowl and don’t have problems anymore. Based on my experiences green peafowl are more sensitive against cocci than IB.
That oregano works well for worms I cannot confirm. Here I have some big question marks. Because if a bird will have much worms you can see some even if you don’t treat a bird and have not read any article or study which is mentioning or confirming this.

Because if a bird will have much worms you can see some even if you don’t treat a bird and have not read any article or study which is mentioning or confirming this.
I'm going to have to agree - It sounds like he's saying that you can't really tell if the oregano treats worms, because they might poop out worms at any time with or without treatment, and you therefore couldn't be sure whether it was caused by oregano or not.

I will post pictures so everyone can see how small cecal worms are and how easily the could be missed even when pooped out.

KsKingBee, that chick you lost to roundworms, did you see worms in it's poop before it died?

-Kathy

The picture I posted with the two worms after treating that chick are the ONLY worms I have ever seen in poo. I have looked and looked and never seen any even after treating the entire flock and having them contained in a pen where I should have been able to see them. The vet told me that they are usually absorbed in the birds system. That is the reason that some birds will die because of the toxic shock of too many worms decaying in the bird.

Sorry for posting, was only trying to help. I would say don't knock it til you have tried it. I know I would have appreciated this info when my baby was so sick and the corid was taking too long to kick for her.

Don't be sorry. Until your post I didn't know that oregano worked against cocci. To me that's a biggie, for one thing I'm a lot more likely to be able to keep oregano essential oil on hand than I am a medication that is very expensive,has a use by date and limited uses. Not to mention the safety factor, and I'm not above having the necessary fecal tests done to prove/disprove its effectiveness against parasites. Now we really need somewhere to put this kind of information so it stays easily accessible.

Back
Top Bottom