Oregano oil works for cocci and worms, it works!

I don't know how many of you are into homeopathic remedies but one I have found that is excellent is oregano oil mixed in olive oil.
Its a very harsh and caustic oil so it HAS to be diluted but it will worm them and it appears to kill cocci almost instantly as well.
Been great for treating my pea babies because sometimes they don't look sick one minute and the next are at deaths door. About tablespoon of oil and 4 drops of oregano oil mixed in a cup and then droppered into the edge of their beaks so it doesn't go down wrong pipe. That much should treat 4 or 5 birds.

Oregano oil is pricey tho at health food stores. Online is much cheaper but those are only places you can get it.

Its saved quite a few of my birds now, had my flock rooster go down last week, found him in coop laying on side with head laying on ground. I didn't think I could save him but brought him in house and dosed him, within 2 hours he expelled a huge roundworm and up and runnin about!
I know this is an old post but it came up for me so I thought I'd add this. Why not mix it with coconut oil? That's what I use. Because coconut oil is also antibacterial antifungal and anti parasitic.

Why do you believe that?
not a matter of belief, when you domesticate a species and breed it for thousands of years to be disease resistant it's going to be disease resistant hence why they are like cockroaches. Peafowl do not have that kind of background despite being bred since ancient times as they were never bred consistently to produce food like chickens.

A lot of "scientific research" is not done in a proper test environment because it's often too expensive for them to get funding for, so even science itself is dicey when it comes to what is and isn't an effective treatment. On top of that, where there is little government intervention or regulations companies can pay to get the results they do want or the public leans heavily on confirmation bias from one study done in a completely different area. While there might be a lot of confirmation bias around oregano or other herbal remedies, much of the medications we used initially came from plants so it seems a little unfair to completely disregard herbal medicine. Not saying that it will always be effective, but science does have to start somewhere.
Quite true, and a case in point is the use of oxalic acid for the treatment of mites on honeybees. It took many years of study to get it approved, in many states it was completely illegal for years. Bayer and the other chemical manufacturers couldn't make money on what could be bought at the hardware store costing just pennies to treat a hive where their chemicals would cost many dollars per hive. Improper dosing and misuse was to blame for the early mite treatments to fail much like the improper use of antibiotics, especially Ivermectin, which has made many of them almost useless for our birds.

This thread has been cleaned up and unlocked. For those who need a refresher the BYC rules can be found here .

It is okay to have a difference of opinions. It's not okay to argue or belittle other members for their views. Please keep all posts respectful, and family friendly. If you don't like the topic please move on to something else. Thank you.

oldhenlikesdogs
Thank you!

There is a place for western medicines and there is also a place for homeopathic/natural preventatives and remedies. Each approach has value in different contexts and the two do not have to be mutually exclusive.

Regardless of whether there is science, anecdotal evidence, generational knowledge etc. about a specific thing, and regardless of what we choose to believe or adopt in our own practices — I don’t think the mockery and dismissal of First Nations traditions and spirituality in this thread is acceptable
There is no place for homeopathic "medicine" in the world that's why it's not used in western medicine aka medcine that works. This has nothing to do with First Nation individuals and everything to do with bad advice and being lazy with a bird's medical care. Science is king

I can confirm through experience though. Unlike many wormers that just paralyze the worms for them to be expelled, it actually kills them.

I haven't lost any peababies to cocci for 3 years now since I started dosing them asap when they started looking a little droopy.

And Reinhold, thanks so much for confirming this, maybe it will save some else's birdies.

It also has tremendous antibiotic properties, I take it myself when coming down with a cold, but that's another story. :)

Last edited:

No, garden oregano won't work' it has to be Mediterranean?. Its just not strong enough. I use oil, which is super caustic. If u do an internet search you will see they are using it in other countries for cocci treatment in goats and beef.

They only reason I think it works as a wormer is nothing could hang on to your stomach lining hike being bathed in it, it Burns!!!!!!!
Well, and the fact every time I use it they poop worms as if they given a wormer.

Not to put words in anyone's mouth but i think what Reinhold was saying is that sometimes they poo worms whether or not they were given a wormer. That's how I interpreted anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom