Oregano oil works for cocci and worms, it works!

Sorry for posting, was only trying to help. I would say don't knock it til you have tried it. I know I would have appreciated this info when my baby was so sick and the corid was taking too long to kick for her.

Last edited:
We always like to hear new ideas and suggestions, thanks for bringing this topic up!
clap.gif

Last edited:
Sorry for posting, was only trying to help. I would say don't knock it til you have tried it. I know I would have appreciated this info when my baby was so sick and the corid was taking too long to kick for her.

Don't be sorry. Until your post I didn't know that oregano worked against cocci. To me that's a biggie, for one thing I'm a lot more likely to be able to keep oregano essential oil on hand than I am a medication that is very expensive,has a use by date and limited uses. Not to mention the safety factor, and I'm not above having the necessary fecal tests done to prove/disprove its effectiveness against parasites. Now we really need somewhere to put this kind of information so it stays easily accessible.

I can confirm through experience though. Unlike many wormers that just paralyze the worms for them to be expelled, it actually kills them.

I haven't lost any peababies to cocci for 3 years now since I started dosing them asap when they started looking a little droopy.

And Reinhold, thanks so much for confirming this, maybe it will save some else's birdies.

It also has tremendous antibiotic properties, I take it myself when coming down with a cold, but that's another story.
smile.png

Could you look on the bottle you used for the "About tablespoon of oil and 4 drops of oregano oil mixed in a cup and then droppered into the edge of their beaks so it doesn't go down wrong pipe. That much should treat 4 or 5 birds." dosage and see if it tells what % of it is "oregano oil" I saw on ebay where they said a bottle of therapeutic oregano oil was 90%. Or. Did you mean that some oils were stronger than others, in which case, what brand are you using so if I ever need to, I can use your dosing?
It makes sense that it would work as a wormer, cayenne pepper is supposed to have some use as a wormer for the same reason . You are the second at least person that has mentioned droppering on the edge of their beak so they don't aspirate it, is there a reason that you don't just dropper it past the trachea(?)?
Sorry to be a pest about this.

Oh, if that's the reason. If you open their beak, you can easily see the tube (which is the trachea). If you put the medicine past the opening you will have no problem with them aspirating it.

Oh, if that's the reason. If you open their beak, you can easily see the tube (which is the trachea). If you put the medicine past the opening you will have no problem with them aspirating it.
Lol, I know that!
wink.png
I am the queen of tubing and oral drenches!

From:http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm
The hole at the back of the tongue is the trachea - Nothing should ever go in there!

-Kathy

I personally am not comfortable because I aspirated a baby robin once with kaytee so I am paranoid about it.

If a person feels comfortable with it by all means whatever works for them.

I have one with a dropper already in it, the brand is Herbal Authority alcohol free oil of oregano. That one apparently already has olive oil mixed in and its not as strong as the absolutely pure ones. Not a prob since the pure ones have to be diluted anyhow.

The other one I have is Aromaappeal, bought from Puritan's Pride. It is a powerhouse one. That one says external use only but I do use it, just am careful not to use too much. Its not an exact science, I try not to get it so strong that will do harm, yet strong enough to kill cocci. I have noticed it has a quicker effect than Corid. Usually with chickens I can get Corid down soon enough, but with peas they go down so fast I was desperate, and after doing research tried it after an outbreak one very rainy summer where I kept losing them left and right.

Yes, I read his post as saying that it works for sure on coccidia, but he isn't as certain if it works on worms. Reinhold, I would very much like to know how much ground oregano you are using to supplement in the feed, and what kind you use.
I buy the special oregano powder for poultries. This is for example an US side where you can get such a powder. But I’m sure you will find cheaper products
http://www.ropastore.com/us/pigeons/ropa-b-powder-10
The dosing with this powder is, if you do it frequently 1.5 to 3g per kg feed. 1.5 g is enough normally, but if you feel that the pop is not good you can increase the dosing up to 3g. These are the figures I read on other reports for turkeys etc. too.

Oh thanks Kathy!!! That helps.

Renhold, thanks for your info, I didn't realize a powder existed. Always something new to learn! What country do you reside in??. I love your avatar.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom