Oregon bill seeks to criminalize breeding/raising livestock for meat

A similar bill is being proposed in Colorado. It's scary that the two people with no history of working in agriculture (both have ties to PETA, one lives in a vegan commune, and the other is a data scientist) are writing a bill that would basically destroy Colorado's ag economy and they think they're doing good in the world.

https://coloradosun.com/2021/03/22/animal-cruelty-ballot-measure/

As @JubileeFarmer observed, this is simply a ballot initiative advanced by some Citizens seeking to rewrite OR law, it is not the result of the normal legislative process. The text is here.

This is in what is called "mark up" form, which is **supposed** to make it easier to read. [In past employment, I helped draft, revise, oppose, or support legislation in one tiny little back corner of the law in many of the 50 States (some repeatedly), and several foreign countries, including China and Brazil (twice)].

Oregon's choice of mark-up conventions is not the most lucid, sadly. Most states now use a combination of BOLD, color, and/or [strike-thru]. Much more readable.

In the instant case, [italics] is being used to indicate deletions from the current statutory language, while BOLD is an addition. Most additions, in this case, are merely re-numberings of the old Statute to account for the deletions.

The Oregon Secretary of State has helpfully provided a Manual on your State's ballot initiative process. The short answer is that a couple of people with a stupid idea can register a referendum proposal with your Secretary of State. Actually getting it on the ballot is a much taller order.

I would not panic yet, were I you.

...and HERE is the referenced CO proposal - note the somewhat easier to read draft mark-up.

It appears to be at a similar point in the process, and required similarly little to be presented to the CO Sec of State.

There are not enough similarities in the Bills, in my view, to suggest coordinated action on the part of the Petitioners. This is merely like minded idiots pursuing similar goals.

My point is that its not a bill.

Unlike the NY bill seeking to prohibit USPS shipping of live animals in the State. Which hopefully dies in committee.

If and when they get enough signatures to potentially put it on the ballot, THAT is when you get concerned. Its also the first time you can do anything about it.

Insane, part of the fringe, amendments are filed every single year. Proportionality dictates that you can't get upset over them, and must be dismissive, because so few of them will ever collect enough signatures, much less make the ballot. Otherwise, your time is spent tilting at potential windmills while far more solid ones are being erected in the normal course.

Good thing this hasn't gone far ... who would ever want to eat an animal that died of natural causes? We're not vultures.
That of course is the point. Look at the post here with people talking about texture differences in free-range 16-week old birds. Can you imagine the consumer complaints eating six-year-old Birds?

Actually, I'm not certain the USDA allows processing for human consumption of animals that died of natural causes. I know they can't process downed cattle. Chickens may or may not be different.

Back
Top Bottom