Oregon bill seeks to criminalize breeding/raising livestock for meat

Pics

Thanks to Disney and all other cartoonists for creating stories using animals acting like humans. The public has been fed a steady diet of this thinking (animals are just like humans emotionally) so it is no surprise that they anthropomorphize.

The anthropomorphisation of animals is older than Aesop, who assembled the first well known (to history) collection more than 2500 years ago. Early human divinities throughout history had the aspect of animals, whether just in visage (such as the various beast headed deities of the Egyptian Pantheon), in the shape-changing of certain Greek (and later Roman) deities [Zeus, particularly, was fond of taking on animal form when visiting maidens...], the town of Rome was named for the twins Romulus and Remus, said to have suckled on a she-wolf when abandoned as babes, and of course there were full animal divinities at the time, such as the Cult of Mithras, the bull - whose ceremonies continue (in a fashion) today, under the guise of still other gods.

From there, its woven thru our culture. 100 years ago, instead of Disney, we might be blaming Kipling and his "Jungle Book".

It has been my experience that the news media, whatever you might think of a particular source, is VERY VERY bad at reporting on the law. Even setting aside the bias of the various sources, the choice of language on all sides of the political spectrum suggests that either their writers don't know what they are talking about, or they deliberately leave out important context and more exacting language in the belief their viewership/readership won't understand it.
Individual reporters have different strengths and weaknesses. Given its inaccuracies, focus, and self-generated controversy, I'd say this story was written by someone lazy whose research for the piece consisted of reading a press packet put together by the group sponsoring the ballot initiative. It's not balanced and it's deliberately misleading. It's the kind of story no reputable news source should publish.

The anthropomorphisation of animals is older than Aesop, who assembled the first well known (to history) collection more than 2500 years ago. Early human divinities throughout history had the aspect of animals, whether just in visage (such as the various beast headed deities of the Egyptian Pantheon), in the shape-changing of certain Greek (and later Roman) deities [Zeus, particularly, was fond of taking on animal form when visiting maidens...], the town of Rome was named for the twins Romulus and Remus, said to have suckled on a she-wolf when abandoned as babes, and of course there were full animal divinities at the time, such as the Cult of Mithras, the bull - whose ceremonies continue (in a fashion) today, under the guise of still other gods.

From there, its woven thru our culture. 100 years ago, instead of Disney, we might be blaming Kipling and his "Jungle Book".
Fair point. However, with Disney, cartoon, mass media, and a steady constant diet of media, I’d say the modern impact has been greater, than the fables and stories of old. Since the stories of old would be spoken or read to the younger generation by adults (generally) and so a discussion or lesson or reason applied. Versus modern day when kids are left to their own devices snd interpretations (generally, as we don’t all use media to babysit our kids all the time) .

Most of the food restrictions in the various religious texts have more to do with food safety than economic considerations. Shellfish, for example, was prohibited because it couldn't be properly preserved or transported fast enough to avoid spoilage and food poisoning.
Reminds me of a Chris Rock comedy show he said;
"Thousands of years ago, before … you know, like, 5000 years ago, before there were the DOMOPACK, before there were refrigerators, before there were freezers, before there was seasoning, a pork chop might kill you! That’s right. One drop: “Aaaah!” Dead! But times have changed. That’s right, you see, times have changed. People, you know, 5,000 years ago were like, “Da m n, this pork is killing everybody!” “How can we get people to not eat pork?” “Ok! Tell them God said, don’t eat it.” And everybody said, “Okay, God said, don’t eat it.” And they stopped eating it. But times have changed. Now we’ve got refrigerators, we’ve got freezers, we’ve got some cellophane wrap, we’ve got aluminum wrap! Now a pork chop is your friend! That’s right, if you are starving, a pork chop will save your life!"
:lau

Only your opinion, of course. But you are veering onto the same path as the vegans with the bill the OP started the thread with. Many people enjoy pork and pork is not unhealthy. It is thought that much of the reason it is considered “unclean” is because long ago pigs were kept outdoors so they needed to wallow in mud and “filth” to keep cool and protect their skin. In addition, there were health issues that could come from the meat due to the open and dirty environment that the pigs lived in. Today, most pigs are kept in very clean spaces indoors, removing pretty much all of the “unclean/unhealthy” issues.
I actually think keeping pigs indoors is pretty inhumane, and probably less sanitary than outdoors because the moist, dark, crowded conditions foster the growth of pathogens. Hence all the antibiotics factory farmed animals are given.

I think animals, particularly those we raise in captivity for our own purposes, deserve to see the sun and live in an environment that somewhat mimics what they would have in the wild. I've seen homesteaders keeping pigs outdoors in very healthy, sanitary environments like silvopasture and even smaller deep bedding systems. Yes they wallow in the mud, but mud is not necessarily dirty (in the sense of carrying diseases) unless they're kept in a small enclosure where their feces mixes with the mud. Actually as long as the area doesn't get to wet, the sunlight disinfects pretty well.

I don't think there's anything morally wrong with eating pigs - it's just not for me. But I would rather people eat pigs that are raised outdoors in a run that's periodically moved, or has carbonaceous material added regularly to absorb the moisture and feces. Like all livestock animals they can be cared for well or they can be kept in confined indoor conditions that are basically tantamount to torture.

Back
Top Bottom