Oregon

Well CL and Silkiechicken... You both were right. Rosie is a Rodney,... I was out working in the run early this morning and the he'/she heard me filling up the food... I heard a very quiet but distinct "Cocka-doodle-doo" confirmed 3 times. It was more quiet than a cluck, but I heard it. Opened up the coop door and he was standing in front and ran like a bat out of hell down the ramp and to the food. Welp, guess I can't call him a motha clucker anymore.... :)

yuckyuck.gif

I have to share, this is so interesting and cute! My new young rooster, Henry, (a bantam Fav.) has been following my Buff hen and her chicks around, he has to keep a distance because she will glare and chase him if he gets too close. He is older than the chicks who are about 5 weeks, but he considers himself a chick still and looks like he just wants to be adopted. Well tonight when I went out to shut the doors, the hen and chicks were all settled down and there was Henry all cozy in the nest with them! The hen was allowing it, that is just so funny!
love.gif

love.gif

My girls are 5 weeks old and have been loving the last few sunny days. They have been playing out in the chicken tractor picking at the grass and playing the pecking order game.

Here is the chicken tractor (still need to paint inside)
Miss Kevin Bacon (RIR) Lemon (Gold Sex Link) Lola (Silver Laced Wyn) Maci (Black Sex Link) Sophie (EE) Lydia (EE)

Is this the only coop/ enclosure you are going to provide for your hens? If so, I have a few friendly words of advice for you.
1. I would re-wire the entire thing using hardware cloth. Those holes are very large and lots of things can squeeze/ reach through. Its just a matter of time before your chicks become dinner for some predator.
2. You need a floor. Or at least wire, otherwise, a million things will be able to tunnel under and kill your girls.
3. You should put a "front" on the "coop" part. They will need more protection from the elements than you have provided. This will not protect them hardly at all from wind, drafts, and wet weather.
4. You have 5 girls? What are the dimensions, as it seems a pretty tight squeeze for 5 full sized hens.

I hope you are not offended, but if you want to do it right, and make sure your hens are happy, healthy and safe, I would definitely reconsider your design. Sorry for the negative news.....

Posting here, as well as, the swap thread. . . . Also want to buy a couple of Muscovy adult hens.
Thanks to all who can help!

Gosh, I wish you had posted last week. Himself took me to Portland for a day out and some shopping - we could have brought a couple of really nice ducks with us.

hope you find what you are looking for

Back
Top Bottom