Oregon

You must first determine the cause of infertility. Your problem may be hatchability. Have you tried hatching duck eggs from another source in the same incubator at the same time? Have you examined the eggs that failed to hatch? There are many reasons to consider before you cull the drake. You may consider a deeper pond as some call ducks can only breed in the water.

I have not read all the past post so forgive me if you have covered these topics.

Last edited:
You must first determine the cause of infertility. Your problem may be hatchability. Have you tried hatching duck eggs from another source in the same incubator at the same time? Have you examined the eggs that failed to hatch? There are many reasons to consider before you cull the drake. You may consider a deeper pond as some call ducks can only breed in the water.

I have not read all the past post so forgive me if you have covered these topics.
I tried hatching them in a bator and under a broody, and never had any development. I don't know how she's doing it...

I have a buff orpington, her name is Jam. When I come home from work each night I let the chickens out of the coop for a couple of surpervised hours. Jam is the only one that will not coop up when it's time. I have to find her and carry her into the coop. Tuesday I had to leave early for an appt and my wife came out to watch the chickens so I could leave and the chickens could stay out. While I was gone, my wife sent me a text letting me know that all the chickens had been accounted for and put in the coop. She told me that she'd even carried Jam and put her in the coop.

Wednesday I got a call from my daughter, letting me know that Jam was out and they couldn't catch her. I told'em to wait until I got home and then we'd coop her up with everyone else later. After I got home, we couldn't find Jam! I was wondering if she was sitting on some eggs that the girls had hidden from us. Finally, about the time that I was getting ready to coop the rest of the chickens up, my daughter hollered and told me that she saw Jam and told me where she was. I got all the other birds up and went looking for Jam. She'd hidden herself under some old dining room chairs and an old cardtable. I moved the table and was able to get her and she was quite indignant about the whole thing. I think she was hoping to spend another night outside!

I'm waiting to see how things will go tonight when I try to coop her up!

ETA: Oh yeah, there weren't any eggs in her hiding spot! And she was just waiting for me to pick her up tonight...no hiding!

Last edited:
My DH, the one who "doesnt like the chickens", (yet digs worms for them and holds them and knows their names), aka the man who said "no roosters" just said, out of the blue.... I have a name for the white rooster, (Silkie/ D'Uccle).
Me: uhm ok. What is it?
DH: Starlight
Me: Huh? Are you serious?
DH: yeah. Its perfect. A white rooster with irridescent tail feathers. He looks like a Starlight.
Me: Do you KNOW Rainbow Bright? She has a white horse, with a rainbow mane and tail. He runs on rainbows and his name is Starlight.
DH: right. Its perfect.
Me: that name is so gay.... (and i am not homophobic at all, mind you...equal rights for all..however, the name IS very feminine for a boy)
But..... its PERFECT. I hate to say it, but the name is so perfect.....
So, i now have a very fluffy, feathery, Freddie Mercury-esque rooster named.... Starlight.

yuckyuck.gif
only you would correlate Freddie Mercury and a white roo.. too funny

I had no trouble hatching my LF duck eggs in same bator next to the call duck eggs as well as chicken eggs. I've cracked open most of the eggs (even though candled clear past 10 days) and see no development. I'm not as good at seeing just "fertility". The pond is deep enough for them to swim in as they swam in it all winter - not sure what's up now. Also, don't believe it is the female ducks as the East Indie I put in with them is only a year and I've tried to hatch her eggs as well. I tried two different incubators and two different broodies and not a single vein develops. I've tried eggs layed from March until last week.
I pulled both drakes yesterday. They do seem to be molting (ratty, pin feathers galore, frayed wing feathers??) while all three hens look great. At this point I think it might be best to rehome the drakes (have someone who just wants two ducks to hang out) and try to buy another drake. What are the odds both drakes would be sterile, that was my puzzle. Any more ideas? I appreciate the input.

You know the original drake is sterile, so I suggest that you remove him from the flock. Well.... maybe the drake is sterile. It might be the ducks. How old are they? You've either got 2 drakes that are sterile or 2 ducks.

Call eggs are difficult to hatch. So, are you certain that they aren't fertilized, or are they just not developing?
I've tried to hatch the East Indie ducks eggs as well with no luck. The oldest duck should be approaching 3 I believe and the youngest just turned 1 year this month (the East Indie). And I'm not good at seeing fertility in the egg but not one single egg has even developed a blood spot or vein out past 10 days. And this is beside other duck and chicken eggs that developed fine. I was just figuring the odds of all 3 ducks being sterile was less than the two drakes, puzzled.
Now, I might add for the soft hearts. Even if I get another drake I'm afraid that one and the hens are here until they die of old age as they are my DD ducks now. I'm going to really have to sell her on this new pet home for her "boys" to get a new drake, sigh. This is why Mommy refuses to let her "own" any of the big ducks because "Mommy" sells and eats them, love that girl.

I had no trouble hatching my LF duck eggs in same bator next to the call duck eggs as well as chicken eggs. I've cracked open most of the eggs (even though candled clear past 10 days) and see no development. I'm not as good at seeing just "fertility". The pond is deep enough for them to swim in as they swam in it all winter - not sure what's up now. Also, don't believe it is the female ducks as the East Indie I put in with them is only a year and I've tried to hatch her eggs as well. I tried two different incubators and two different broodies and not a single vein develops. I've tried eggs layed from March until last week.
I pulled both drakes yesterday. They do seem to be molting (ratty, pin feathers galore, frayed wing feathers??) while all three hens look great. At this point I think it might be best to rehome the drakes (have someone who just wants two ducks to hang out) and try to buy another drake. What are the odds both drakes would be sterile, that was my puzzle. Any more ideas? I appreciate the input.
Sounds as if you have covered all your bases. I have had some duds myself with chickens but never ducks but then again my brother was the real duck expert not me.

It is very hard to say what causes infertility but I know treatments and past infections can cause infertility. I know a woman who had a bout with a nasty respitory illness in her chickens and once fertile hens and roosters became duds after treatment.

I would try a new drake possibly one that is between 8 to 12 months and throw the dud drakes in with a different hen and see if he produces before culling them. Good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom