Oregon

I have become addicted to Partridge coloring. I've got both LF & bantams rocks. The LF are hatchery birds like most of my ladies, but they all go broody at the drop of a hat. I like that about them but their markings are really off for showing.

I started out with barred rocks for my first layer flock, they are not overly wild but not the kind to climb in your lap. If we grab a shovel or rake they come running. After 4 years they are still pretty reliable layer in the spring & fall without lights or heat.

There were a couple of black sex-links thrown in with the first chicks, they have nice eggs but only 1 of the 3 are still around.

Our next order was more BSL, Speckled Sussex, Light Brahmas, Partridge Rocks & OEGB. The BSL's have survived longer than the first and are still laying well. SS lay much smaller eggs and tend to be feather pickers. Love the Brahmas, calm, mellow, friendly but not great layers. The OEGB were ordered for my daughters 4-H showmanship birds. They are so people friendly they fly up to my sholders whenever I go in the run or coop. They are pretty much bomb-proof for showmanship, they stay on the table, pose, walk on demand, handle being flipped upside down for examintion.

We also have more bantams that she keeps for exhibition in our county and state fairs.
What you need is Partridge Chanteclers !!!!!!!!!!!!
Dickerson Partridge is to die for !!

Young, 4 1/2 mo old saddled Partridge Chantecler Pullet.

Her brother..............gorgeous male.

There is very few breeds where the females are more striking than the males, partridge is one of them !

I have become addicted to Partridge coloring. I've got both LF & bantams rocks. The LF are hatchery birds like most of my ladies, but they all go broody at the drop of a hat. I like that about them but their markings are really off for showing.

I started out with barred rocks for my first layer flock, they are not overly wild but not the kind to climb in your lap. If we grab a shovel or rake they come running. After 4 years they are still pretty reliable layer in the spring & fall without lights or heat.

There were a couple of black sex-links thrown in with the first chicks, they have nice eggs but only 1 of the 3 are still around.

Our next order was more BSL, Speckled Sussex, Light Brahmas, Partridge Rocks & OEGB. The BSL's have survived longer than the first and are still laying well. SS lay much smaller eggs and tend to be feather pickers. Love the Brahmas, calm, mellow, friendly but not great layers. The OEGB were ordered for my daughters 4-H showmanship birds. They are so people friendly they fly up to my sholders whenever I go in the run or coop. They are pretty much bomb-proof for showmanship, they stay on the table, pose, walk on demand, handle being flipped upside down for examintion.

We also have more bantams that she keeps for exhibition in our county and state fairs.
My son just started a bantam partridge Faverolles project this year.
big_smile.png

Oh they are already on my list!!!!! I was talking with one of the judges at the show yesterday and he may have a contact for me in Canada. If I go ahead with this project I can contact him. Also got a name from the livestock conservancy group.

I wasn't ready for the size increase over the hatchery birds when I ordered the BLRW eggs. Coop 5 for some breeders will have to be much bigger than I thought.

The ones at the show were a good example of the difficulties. Just can't help it, love the pattern and the color combination as long as it's not the yellow hue.

I have become addicted to Partridge coloring.  I've got both LF & bantams rocks.  The LF are hatchery birds like most of my ladies, but they all go broody at the drop of a hat.  I like that about them but their markings are really off for showing.

I started out with barred rocks for my first layer flock, they are not overly wild but not the ki nd to climb in your lap.  If we grab a shovel or rake they come running.  After 4 years they are still pretty reliable layer in the spring & fall without lights or heat.

I adore the partridge color, spent the summer trying to get my hands on some LF partridge Wyandottes, but no luck. I'll have to try again next year and start earlier in the season.

What you need is Partridge Chanteclers !!!!!!!!!!!!
Dickerson Partridge is to die for !!

Young, 4 1/2 mo old saddled Partridge Chantecler Pullet.

Her brother..............gorgeous male.

There is very few breeds where the females are more striking than the males, partridge is one of them !

Gorgeous birds!!! Where did you get yours and do you ever sell chicks/started birds? I was focusing on getting Wyandottes over Rocks because I prefer the rose combs, but cushion combs would also work.

We live in unincorporated Washington County, we are zoned for exclusive farm use so we can have MANY chickens. We have a HUUUGE barn and plenty of space for our future flock to free range. I love our new place.

We moved here to be closer to my sister and for the resources available to our son that were not available in California. We love Oregon though so the move really proved perfect for us :)

So I want a variety in our flock but I am not sure what fairs well here. What are your favorite breeds?

I love silkies especially for special needs, they are very gentle and tolerate being handled. We unfortunately have muscular dystrophy in my family and my friends son is mentally challenged, the silkies are very sweet. I looooooovvvvvveeee my Jersey Giants, they are very mild mannered birds, lay giant eggs and get along with everyone. They are not dominate chickens. I have my silkies hatching some eggs I ordered from a Jersey breeder in Michigan. Hopefully they will hatch. I just bought a jersey rooster that is a blue and have two black/blue hens. I can't wait to see if my silkie girls yield any Jerseys!!! I had Easter Eggers and Wyandottes. They were just a lot more pecky then the flock I have now.

Back
Top Bottom