Oregon

From what I've found they can be green blue or pink

I've never really understood this. Does this mean that one hen can lay a green, and a blue, and a pink egg? One hen making different colors?

Or does it mean one hen will lay a green all the time, one hen will lay a blue all the time, and one hen will lay a pink all the time?

Thanks for any insight.

Easter Eggers can lay various colours of eggs. I believe Ameraucanas only lay blue, have slate coloured legs and need to be a SOP recognized colour otherwise they should be referred to as an Easter Egger (or Olive Egger) or a project Ameraucana (as in lavenders). Some feed stores and hatcheries label them as Ameraucanas but they are not. Cloverleaf knows way more about Ameraucana's than me, maybe she will chime in. It just irks me when the sellers are misinforming their buyers. Anyone, please correct me if I have stated anything wrong :)

This is correct.

Last edited:
Speaking of dog licenses...I was just at the Coos County Courthouse and saw a sign posted that a Fixed (altered) Dog License is only $10, but if they pick up your dog and you have to license said dog, it is a $490 fee!

ep.gif

Easter Eggers can lay various colours of eggs.  I believe Ameraucanas only lay blue, have slate coloured legs and need to be a SOP recognized colour otherwise they should be referred to as an Easter Egger (or Olive Egger) or a project Ameraucana (as in lavenders).  Some feed stores and hatcheries label them as Ameraucanas but they are not.  Cloverleaf knows way more about Ameraucana's than me, maybe she will chime in.   It just irks me when the sellers are misinforming their buyers.  Anyone, please correct me if I have stated anything wrong :)

It also makes me mad when they don't label the correct breed, especially with the RIR's. I wish that is something they'd change.

It also makes me mad when they don't label the correct breed, especially with the RIR's. I wish that is something they'd change.

I'm not sure why hatcheries and retailers don't label things accurately. I just don't really see what they have to lose if they did. Certainly the retailers label similarly to the hatchery's description, so I guess that's where the problem starts and where it could stop -- with the hatcheries.

Whooo!! I'm in Newberg, too. Welcome! I got my chicks from Wilco in September. I think they have some there now, but the choices are probably fairly limited. Coastal Farm Supply also has chicks, if you don't mind driving to Canby. :)

The Newberg Wilco does take pre-orders, so sometimes certain deliveries of entire breeds are totally reserved well in advance. Not all the breeds are brought in at once, and some breeds are brought in more than one time through the season. You can have someone look through their order book and tell you what is left and when they will arrive, and then you can reserve some of those. ALSO ... sometimes people don't come to pick up the chicks they order, so they go up for grabs on Saturdays (or maybe even super late Friday if you "just happen" to be there at closing time). I know this because last year I stalked the Easter Egger supply and scored some which had been reserved by other people.

I like to pick up my chicks as soon as they arrive for various reasons -- if you reserve chicks someone from Wilco will call you when they arrive.

I think this chick season goes on for a while, so it MIGHT be possible to get a "special" order in if you want something in particular, but don't quote me on that.

Talk to Liz at the Newberg store if she's available as she is the designated chick person. She is really great with customer service. But others should be able to look through the book for you.

Newberg Wilco is having their chick event on Thursday the 7th of March from 6 to 7:30, and after that you get 25% off regular price of all chick supplies and a $5 off coupon for any Purina products. They keep the store open late that night.

No, I don't work there, but I'm in there pretty often ... doing chicken math.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom