Oregon

Anyone know some nice "old-timers" in the Portland-ish area? I'd love to have someone with lots of experience with medium-sized flocks, ducks, and turkeys come for a visit and offer me some advice. I'm SW of Portland a little bit.
AyeUpChuck is her name on here. She is in Beavercreek. She isn't an old-timer but she breeds turkeys and hens. I'm sure she could give you some help. The problem is she is super sick with Pneumonia right now. I would still try to contact her and see what she has to say.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/81942/ayeupchuck

I have 3 roosters I need to re-home. 1 Black Copper Maran, 1 Dorking/BCM Mix and 1 Olive egger. The olive egger is 75% BCM and 25% EE.

Edited to add they are 12 weeks old.

Last edited:
So I went out later than usual to give the girls water etc last night. And they were all up in the coop. Well I opened the doors to check up on em and low and behold they were all up on the highest roost bar. Like real chickens! Lol. I was beginning to worry they'd never figure out sleeping off the floor. Silly birds.

Two newbie questions: this may sound dumb... But I'm looking forward to the compost for my garden next year... The feathers mixed with the pine and grass bedding will break down right? Or will I be shoveling black gold out next spring and be plucking out feathers? It seems like it would take a long time for those to break down. Does that make any kind of difference/ issues?

Second question: I originally put they're flock raiser and some water in the coop to get them to go in there. They clearly get that now. Should I get the food out of there? I seem to remember differing advice on that in my readings. Thoughts please?!?!

You guys are such a resource. I think of this group every time my little marans starts crying when she sees me. You guys helped me save her and she totally thinks I'm her mommy. Silly bird.

So I went out later than usual to give the girls water etc last night. And they were all up in the coop. Well I opened the doors to check up on em and low and behold they were all up on the highest roost bar. Like real chickens! Lol. I was beginning to worry they'd never figure out sleeping off the floor. Silly birds.

Two newbie questions: this may sound dumb... But I'm looking forward to the compost for my garden next year... The feathers mixed with the pine and grass bedding will break down right? Or will I be shoveling black gold out next spring and be plucking out feathers? It seems like it would take a long time for those to break down. Does that make any kind of difference/ issues?

Second question: I originally put they're flock raiser and some water in the coop to get them to go in there. They clearly get that now. Should I get the food out of there? I seem to remember differing advice on that in my readings. Thoughts please?!?!

You guys are such a resource. I think of this group every time my little marans starts crying when she sees me. You guys helped me save her and she totally thinks I'm her mommy. Silly bird.

Mine did the same thing, sitting on the floor, that is funny!
I compost as well, and I can tell you, the feathers don't break down, but it really doesn't bother me much.
I keep the food inside the coop. Of course it is a hanging feeder. If I put it outside the coop, that wild birds and squirrels would be in heaven, and FAT!!!

The wild birds here cart off all of the feathers in the early spring to use as nesting material so they disappear out of my garden :)

I've got three Rhodebar roosters looking for new homes. I hatched out three different sets of eggs and ended up with a no pullets, so these guys need to go. PM me for details.

He's the oldest, he's beautiful! about 18 weeks old. I have another that is about 14 weeks old, and a third less than a week old. All hatched from brown eggs.

I've got three Rhodebar roosters looking for new homes. I hatched out three different sets of eggs and ended up with a no pullets, so these guys need to go. PM me for details. He's the oldest, he's beautiful! about 18 weeks old. I have another that is about 14 weeks old, and a third less than a week old. All hatched from brown eggs.
Wow I love his colors. No Roos for me in the city. But he sure is neat looking!

Back
Top Bottom