Oregon

Ha I should've figured that out with the user name Annie! Aussie traveled with us to Ohio and went from there to a breeder flock in PA, where I'm sure her beauty will be appreciated!
wink.png
I had a 7 month old cockerel take Res CH in the JG National and also res ch American
wink.png
Wow!!! Congrats. Going to any more shows this year? I think I am waiting for the April show. Even then, I think I will only do showmanship because I haven't any birds to show currently. He is so young to do that well. Is this his first show?

Hi, I live in Sprague River, in Klamath County. Don't know if I've ever posted on this thread before, and wasn't going to read through 773 pages to find out, LOL! But I didn't have a computer for a couple of years, so wasn't posting on BYC anyway.

I've got some hatchery GLW and BA's right now -- who are NOT laying, even with a light going on in the coop at 3:30 am. Most of them were this year's chicks, the BA's had started laying in the chicken tractors that I use for raising young birds, but quit when I put them in the coop and never started up again; the GLW's never started at all. Aaargh! 24 chickens and NO, ZERO eggs coming in! This isn't normal, I know, but it's sure got me looking for other breeds that might be more reliable winter layers (I picked both of these breeds because they are supposed to be good winter layers!).

I've got one daughter living with me (she's autistic and severely mentally handicapped); we have, at the moment, four goats plus a borrowed buck, a Jersey heifer calf, two rabbits, the 24 chickens, four dogs, and five cats and kittens. I milk the goats, will milk the calf in a couple of years, feed the rabbits to the dogs, use the chickens for eggs and meat, two of the dogs keep the coyotes and cougar away from the rest of the animals and the other two dogs are useless little house pets, and the cats are supposed to be keeping the mice and pack rats out of the sheds and barns, but I don't know if they actually do. Probably the most important things the animals do, though, are first, entertaining my daughter, and second, giving me a break from my daughter (I love her, but sometimes I need that break!).

At times, I've seriously considered making a big bird cage in one corner of our (tiny) living room and keeping a few bantams in there for DD's entertainment. Still not sure I really want to deal with chicken dust in the house full-time (I do normally brood chicks in the house for a week or two before putting them out in the brooder in the pump house).

We will hopefully be getting an incubator (our first!) in January, and then I've got someone who is going to ship me some Buckeye eggs to see if I can hatch them. I've had Buckeyes before, got them from Sand Hill several years ago, and I really liked them. We've moved twice since then, and I think I want to give them another try. But I'd really like to get some good Dorkings (preferably RC Reds) and maybe try Chanteclers, also. It gets cold enough on this side of the mountains that the smaller combs are best (and I like them best, anyway). Seems like I've been spending a lot of time here at BYC researching different breeds.... :)

Kathleen

I've got some hatchery GLW and BA's right now -- who are NOT laying, even with a light going on in the coop at 3:30 am. Most of them were this year's chicks, the BA's had started laying in the chicken tractors that I use for raising young birds, but quit when I put them in the coop and never started up again; the GLW's never started at all. Aaargh! 24 chickens and NO, ZERO eggs coming in! This isn't normal, I know, but it's sure got me looking for other breeds that might be more reliable winter layers (I picked both of these breeds because they are supposed to be good winter layers!).
Hi Kathleen! Just wondering, how old are the GLWs and BA's? I know Wyandottes are considered a slow maturing breed by some people, and "moderately fast maturing" other places (whatever that means). I think BA's are usually 5-6mos and Wyandottes can be 7-8 or even 9mos? to maturity.

Another idea.. have you checked them for mites? My hens stopped laying when they had mites, and they don't have any obvious symptoms other than excessive preening/scratching. The mites are very, very small, quite hard to see, but once you find them, you'll know. check the vent feathers area. If so, dust them with seven5 once a week for 3 weeks. Make sure to clean and dust the housing area too. hope this helps!!

Hi, I probably should check for mites because the chicken coop was here when I bought this place last year and looks like there are lots of places for bugs to hide. They don't seem to have any feather issues, though, other than the usual bare backs on a few hens from the roosters.

The Black Australorps started laying in late September and only laid for a few weeks before I moved them into the coop with the older hens (last year's birds). The Golden-laced Wyandottes are seven or eight months old. I've had them before, though, and I didn't think it took them this long to start up. They are all hatchery stock, so I wasn't expecting a late start. I will check for mites tonight after they all go to bed -- I already have some Sevin dust.

I need to go through and pull the smaller birds to cull, anyway. There are a few that look like their tails aren't quite so pinched as the hatchery birds usually are, so I want to put them and the best of the four roosters (3 GLW and one BA) into a breeding pen. I got them to cross-breed, so it doesn't matter which roo they go with. Six of the BA's are 2012 hatch hens (and one of the GLW roos); the ones I got this year are larger and look better quality. I got this year's chicks at the feed stores in town (don't know where they get them); last year's were mail-order from Meyer.

I'm not liking mail-ordering chicks, though. Four years ago, I had a whole box from Sand Hill arrive dead (not Sand Hill's fault, I think the P.O. must have left them out in the cold overnight) and it was the following year before they were able to replace those. Then last year most of the chicks from Meyer were dead -- I managed to save three. It was several months before they were able to replace them. I'm beginning to think that it's better to buy eggs even if the hatch rate is low, rather than have to open up a box and find a bunch of dead chicks!!!

It's just frustrating to be feeding so many birds and not getting ANY eggs, LOL!

Last edited:
Hi, I probably should check for mites because the chicken coop was here when I bought this place last year and looks like there are lots of places for bugs to hide. They don't seem to have any feather issues, though, other than the usual bare backs on a few hens from the roosters.

The Black Australorps started laying in late September and only laid for a few weeks before I moved them into the coop with the older hens (last year's birds). The Golden-laced Wyandottes are seven or eight months old. I've had them before, though, and I didn't think it took them this long to start up. They are all hatchery stock, so I wasn't expecting a late start. I will check for mites tonight after they all go to bed -- I already have some Sevin dust.

I need to go through and pull the smaller birds to cull, anyway. There are a few that look like their tails aren't quite so pinched as the hatchery birds usually are, so I want to put them and the best of the four roosters (3 GLW and one BA) into a breeding pen. I got them to cross-breed, so it doesn't matter which roo they go with. Six of the BA's are 2012 hatch hens (and one of the GLW roos); the ones I got this year are larger and look better quality. I got this year's chicks at the feed stores in town (don't know where they get them); last year's were mail-order from Meyer.

I'm not liking mail-ordering chicks, though. Four years ago, I had a whole box from Sand Hill arrive dead (not Sand Hill's fault, I think the P.O. must have left them out in the cold overnight) and it was the following year before they were able to replace those. Then last year most of the chicks from Meyer were dead -- I managed to save three. It was several months before they were able to replace them. I'm beginning to think that it's better to buy eggs even if the hatch rate is low, rather than have to open up a box and find a bunch of dead chicks!!!

It's just frustrating to be feeding so many birds and not getting ANY eggs, LOL
You might check for holes and rodents will eat the eggs . you also might have an egg eater in there too. GL with the birds

Rodents are a slim possibility -- there are certainly enough holes for them to get in. But I don't think they'd eat the shells and all. I also have two Rat Terriers and five barn cats, so hopefully they are doing their job!

However, I did get TWO pullet eggs this morning!!! YEAH! :) It's about time! (I think they must have heard me saying they were going to end up in the freezer if we didn't start getting some eggs, LOL!)

Looking at getting some Leghorns and some Dorkings before next winter.

Kathleen

Well with this cold blast in the valley I'll sure be glad to stay home this weekend! In Lebanon it's supposed to be 15 tonight, then 10 Saturday night. I don't normally heat the coop and so far my birds have been doing great but these next few nights I plan to give them some extra warmth. It seems like a pretty big jump to go from high 20's to low teens in so little time.

Last edited:
Well with this cold blast in the valley I'll sure be glad to stay home this weekend!  In Lebanon it's supposed to be 15 tonight, then 10 Saturday night.  I don't normally heat the coop and so far my birds have been doing great but these next few nights I plan to give them some extra warmth.  It seems like a pretty big jump to go from high 20's to low teens in so little time.
I'll be giving some heat tonight also. They are saying we may get down to 6° tonight. I've had frozen waterers inside the coops the last couple of mornings. At least they are all wrapped in plastic now and that bumps the temp about 10°. We have over. 5" now, wonder what it will be tomorrow morning?

Hope you are keeping warm peeps! Wanted to let you know we got moved from So Calif to the Roseburg area about 10 days ago. Loving the change and the weather...although I don't have to go out and drive in it. But loved sitting and watching it snow today. Chickens and turkeys made it safe and sound and are locked away with lots of shavings and straw. Looks like I will need to check on waterers during the day for the next few. Brrr....

Back
Top Bottom