Oregon

Thank you OGM, Mine are 12 weeks, and look to be fully feathered. I gave them some extra scratch in their feed, thinking the corn would help. I do appreciate being able to ask these questions. Grandma isn't around to answer all my questions. ‍

@WindyTam & @DPWPDX
:frow Hi & welcome!

I kicked my girls out of the house when they were 5-6 weeks old back in May. I was worried too since night temps dipped into the low 40's but they were fine!

My question to @Ol Grey Mare & other experienced folks is about the rain.

I have a small henhouse where the girls just sleep & have an attached nest box. No room for feeder or water in there without a royal mess.

I was thinking of wrapping the run with clear plastic shower curtain to ward off the rain & wind. Do you think it's a good idea? Should I leave any of it open -- like on one end? Maybe leave some gaps near the top for ventilation?

I don't want my girls sitting in mud all winter but I also don't want to suffocate them either.
Here's a pic of the setup. I did move the playhouse that's in the right side background butt up against the opening of the run to extend the run & provide a coveted shelter.
IMG_0813.JPG

@WindyTam & @DPWPDX
:frow Hi & welcome!

I kicked my girls out of the house when they were 5-6 weeks old back in May. I was worried too since night temps dipped into the low 40's but they were fine!

My question to @Ol Grey Mare & other experienced folks is about the rain.

I have a small henhouse where the girls just sleep & have an attached nest box. No room for feeder or water in there without a royal mess.

I was thinking of wrapping the run with clear plastic shower curtain to ward off the rain & wind. Do you think it's a good idea? Should I leave any of it open -- like on one end? Maybe leave some gaps near the top for ventilation?

I don't want my girls sitting in mud all winter but I also don't want to suffocate them either.
Here's a pic of the setup. I did move the playhouse that's in the right side background butt up against the opening of the run to extend the run & provide a coveted shelter.
View attachment 1147907
Lots of folks wrap or cover their runs with plastic. @Blooie comes to mind as one with some great photos of her run wrapped. You do want to allow ventilation, yes. How does the end of the run relate to your prevailing winds?

[QUOTE="peckpeckpeck

Hi Peckpeckpeck, I too worry about my girls being crammed in too close for all of our rainy days. Last month we ordered a truckload of sand and have been putting that out in the run and surrounding the coop. A friend told me the horror stories of slipping and falling in the mud around the coop...she was trying to talk me out of keeping chickens...so the sand seems to have helped so far. We somehow ended up with 28 full grown chickens out of our original 12 chicks...they are sooo soo cute at the feedstore....and they ALL survived!!!! So, how to keep them from getting "peckish" through the gray wet days we love so much, while stuck inside? I know my human kids were always bored! So we are planning to put some wraps up outside and a pop up. Any more ideas? Would love to hear how to keep these gals from getting bored while we await our first eggs. They are 13 weeks old now..Here are pics

[QUOTE="peckpeckpeck

Hi Peckpeckpeck, I too worry about my girls being crammed in too close for all of our rainy days. Last month we ordered a truckload of sand and have been putting that out in the run and surrounding the coop. A friend told me the horror stories of slipping and falling in the mud around the coop...she was trying to talk me out of keeping chickens...so the sand seems to have helped so far. We somehow ended up with 28 full grown chickens out of our original 12 chicks...they are sooo soo cute at the feedstore....and they ALL survived!!!! So, how to keep them from getting "peckish" through the gray wet days we love so much, while stuck inside? I know my human kids were always bored! So we are planning to put some wraps up outside and a pop up. Any more ideas? Would love to hear how to keep these gals from getting bored while we await our first eggs. They are 13 weeks old now ‍
Her

[QUOTE="peckpeckpeck

Hi Peckpeckpeck, I too worry about my girls being crammed in too close for all of our rainy days. Last month we ordered a truckload of sand and have been putting that out in the run and surrounding the coop. A friend told me the horror stories of slipping and falling in the mud around the coop...she was trying to talk me out of keeping chickens...so the sand seems to have helped so far. We somehow ended up with 28 full grown chickens out of our original 12 chicks...they are sooo soo cute at the feedstore....and they ALL survived!!!! So, how to keep them from getting "peckish" through the gray wet days we love so much, while stuck inside? I know my human kids were always bored! So we are planning to put some wraps up outside and a pop up. Any more ideas? Would love to hear how to keep these gals from getting bored while we await our first eggs. They are 13 weeks old now..Here are pics
How much space (feet by feet) will they have? There are lots of ways to entertain your flock....some you buy, some you can diy....hanging a head of cabbage (think chicken tether ball that is edible), tossing in a flake of hay, bag of leaves you stored away, etc for them to scratch in, putting in and then rearranging some roosts, stumps, a pallet on blocks, etc. Honestly I think folks are surprised at the conditions chickens will choose to go out in that first year, their idea of intolerable is different than ours.

Back
Top Bottom