Oregon

How much space (feet by feet) will they have? There are lots of ways to entertain your flock....some you buy, some you can diy....hanging a head of cabbage (think chicken tether ball that is edible), tossing in a flake of hay, bag of leaves you stored away, etc for them to scratch in, putting in and then rearranging some roosts, stumps, a pallet on blocks, etc. Honestly I think folks are surprised at the conditions chickens will choose to go out in that first year, their idea of intolerable is different than ours.
We have a 10x12 coop shed, with the inside penned for them of 8x8. We will be expanding the 8x8 soon, when we install the 3 tiered laying boxes (15 nests), to 10x 10 or so. Leaving just enough room to gather eggs from the back of the nests and the feed cans. I think I have 3-4 roosters that may end up in the crockpot, which will be a hard thing to do. I named them, ooooops! But that still leaves about 25 in that space. I like the tetherball idea

nothing nreeds done for healthy fully feathers (over 6 weeks) birds. These temps, even sudden, are no danger to them

I just posted a new thread asking what temperature / age you stop offering heat to chicks and then saw this. I live in Bend. My chicks are 4 weeks old and I brood outside so they are almost fully feathered. With the temps starting to get near freezing at night and 40-50s in the day soon, when do I stop offering heat? Thank you!!

I just posted a new thread asking what temperature / age you stop offering heat to chicks and then saw this. I live in Bend. My chicks are 4 weeks old and I brood outside so they are almost fully feathered. With the temps starting to get near freezing at night and 40-50s in the day soon, when do I stop offering heat? Thank you!!

Sorry, I didn't finish my thought. I have seen anywhere from 8 to 11 weeks and beyond, but you think they are ready at 6 weeks? They are all strong and healthy and are acclimated to outside brooding so far.

Sorry, I didn't finish my thought. I have seen anywhere from 8 to 11 weeks and beyond, but you think they are ready at 6 weeks? They are all strong and healthy and are acclimated to outside brooding so far.
My chicks are off heat, outdoors, by 5 weeks.

Thank you, I think I will start weaning them this week. I just spoke with a lady here in Central Oregon and she only provides heat the first week outside in her coop and her chicks all feather early and do well. I appreciate your advice.

Maui 7 months old

7F6E58E3-2DE9-4197-8008-2ABBE833C5C2.jpeg A0B48671-7770-474F-9D07-D12E621FC4E8.jpeg 0374B0D8-F71B-4156-BD1B-D8A638EEB153.jpeg
Anyone in the eugene area looking for a beautiful Lavender Orpington Rooster? He is so beautiful and friendly. A little hard to catch but he is fine after you pick him up. I don’t want him to go to someone for food. He is way to beautiful for food. We live with my in laws and they don’t like having a rooster. I’m really sad to have to get rid of him.

Back
Top Bottom