Oregon

Oregon BYCers, I have a problem that I'm seeking your help on. My sweet, devoted dog Marla...she has big problems. She's such a fearful dog that she can't be allowed indoors when we have company, which has caused us such a headache over the years. I've been counseled by rescue groups that this is a dog who should be euthanized. But when I sought the help of rescues that save "unadoptable" dogs and my family's vet, neither party agreed that this dog is bad enough to euthanize or to be put in an unadoptable dog shelter.

Anyway, what it comes down to is that I'm weary of the struggle of living with Marla and I'm afraid that I'm doing her a disservice by keeping her. I ought to either euthanize her or find her a new owner that has experience working with this type of dog behavior. I once had a dog DNA test run on her and found out that she is 1/2 Rottweiler, 1/4 German Shepherd, and 1/4 Chow Chow. I can tell you plenty more about her background, how she came to me, and what I know about what she endured before I adopted her, but I don't want to make this thread too long. I'm just casting the net to see if I can find a solution for this problem. Marla is a GREAT dog, but I'm not the right owner for her.

Sounds like she needs a really big, fenced in country yard for her to enjoy and get used to the sounds and peeps. too bad my mom would kill me if I brought home another animal. (But I'm gonna sneak in some turkey eggs in my bator...)

Lorilyn Farms, that's exactly what I think, and why I came here to post. I know that a lot of folks here aren't in the city and so they might have the space on their land and in their hearts to let in a dog like this. She just needs a really special owner.

i have a question about flock intergration im having a problem im trying to intrigrate 2 light brahmas that are white with the black tails and black hackles but the rest is snow white there 3 months old and its been almost 3 weeks since i put them in the big run and now they stay away from the flock and run when any of the big hens get close none of my other hens have white on them well not much my BRLW has a lil and my GSS has a lil underneath but other then that all of them are red or a dark blonde i was wondering if you have ran into a problem like this or any tips on how i can get the flock to accept them

i have a question about flock intergration im having a problem im trying to intrigrate 2 light brahmas that are white with the black tails and black hackles but the rest is snow white there 3 months old and its been almost 3 weeks since i put them in the big run and now they stay away from the flock and run when any of the big hens get close none of my other hens have white on them well not much my BRLW has a lil and my GSS has a lil underneath but other then that all of them are red or a dark blonde i was wondering if you have ran into a problem like this or any tips on how i can get the flock to accept them

Most laying hens will tolerate, but not accept another bird until they are laying. I had the same issue when I put 3 3mo pullets into the layer flock. They were not accepted until they began to lay, but were allowed to be in proximity of the flock. Just not allowed to be in the flock. I am about to do the same thing tonight with some 2 & 3mo's. I need to move younger chicks to the tractor they are occupying. They will have a rough go for a couple of months, but will survive.

Most laying hens will tolerate, but not accept another bird until they are laying. I had the same issue when I put 3 3mo pullets into the layer flock. They were not accepted until they began to lay, but were allowed to be in proximity of the flock. Just not allowed to be in the flock. I am about to do the same thing tonight with some 2 & 3mo's. I need to move younger chicks to the tractor they are occupying. They will have a rough go for a couple of months, but will survive.

ok i didnt think of that i was thinking since they were white and no one else is that was why they werent being accepted because i read somewhere chickens naturly segregate according to feather color which i have witness when these ones were chicks i have two light brahmas and a bantam brahma roo and then a barred rock and a black silkie bantam the white ones rooster white one another and the roo since hes a light cream color and then the black silkie and the barred rock roost together i was kinda shocked when i saw this when i let them out to there run how the dark ones stayed with the dark ones and the light ones with the light but thanks trav thats really helpful like i said i probably wouldnt of thought of one my own

The same thing happened to me last year. purchased a few "sexed chicks" from craigslist & got 2 Roo's. I was able to rehome both - 1 to freezer camp & 1 to a nice farm up north.
I got lucky and found homes for all of them and from now on a will just buy straight run chicks for 1/2 the price!

Back
Top Bottom