Oregon

I live near Junction City, and I haven't had to insulate my coop in 5 years of raising large and banty chickens. One wall of it borders an insulated shed. Probably overdoing it, but I covered the chicken wire "window" with plastic during the winter.

I just purchased birds from a farm that housed them in open wire cages under a barn roof with open walls. They're very healthy.

I have read that it's more of a concern to keep them cool in the summer, than to worry about the cold.

Hope this helps!

Hello fellow Oregonians. I just joined BYC, and got my first chickens. I live in Portland, and it seems that quite a few of you do also.

welcome-byc.gif
everybody!

Hi every body.. Im from Brookings.. I dont have chickens, dont have a place big enough for them yet.. But I do have Button Quail..

I have heard from chicken owners that the limit for chickens here is 10. And you can have a rooster until a neighbor complains?? Where Im originally from, Gold Beach you could only own 3 hens. But I owned 7 then, lol..

My family may be moving in the next year or so.. Im really interested in learning the chicken laws for all the other towns in Oregon. Like which towns are you allowed to keep roosters. Or how far from city limits do you have to be to have one.. How many chickens you are allowed to have. And do you have to have a permit.. Here you only have to have a permit to own pheasants. I see Salem is a no-no.. But I had relatives there own farm with every animal, with the city being all around them.. But I guess they were grandfathered in. Or should this question be put into a new thread.. And where would it go.. Im new to BYC.

Thank you every one..

Edit cause I forgot to add.
Im interested in all towns.. But Im curious about Medford or the small towns around it..

Last edited by a moderator:
PdxChick! Welcome to BYC. I'm in Portland as well. I've had between 3 and 8 chickens for the last 5 years. I am finally getting a permit (mailed the application and the $31 yesterday). Hopefully, they give it to me.

warez*sunny :

My family may be moving in the next year or so.. Im really interested in learning the chicken laws for all the other towns in Oregon. Like which towns are you allowed to keep roosters. Or how far from city limits do you have to be to have one.. How many chickens you are allowed to have. And do you have to have a permit.. Here you only have to have a permit to own pheasants. I see Salem is a no-no.. But I had relatives there own farm with every animal, with the city being all around them.. But I guess they were grandfathered in. Or should this question be put into a new thread.. And where would it go.. Im new to BYC.

Thank you every one..

Edit cause I forgot to add.
Im interested in all towns.. But Im curious about Medford or the small towns around it..

You might want to start a thread in the "local chicken laws and ordinances" forum. Just make up a title like "Chicken Laws in Southwest Oregon" or something like that. I'm in Canby, which is in the valley, and we need a permit (free) for any hens we may have. No limit, just no roos.​

Quote:
You might want to start a thread in the "local chicken laws and ordinances" forum. Just make up a title like "Chicken Laws in Southwest Oregon" or something like that. I'm in Canby, which is in the valley, and we need a permit (free) for any hens we may have. No limit, just no roos.

Thank you for letting me know where to put my question.. I just hope I dont get in trouble or some thing for asking it in this thread.. Also thanks for your city info.. No limit on chickens. Nice town.. Bummer no roos. Im hoping to find a city that I can be as self suffiecient in the chicken area as I can be.. Like have my own fertile eggs.. But I may have to move to the outside of city limits, where ever we may end up..

Back
Top Bottom