Oregon

The person who designed it wanted to let the wast fall out to be easier to take care of. It is beginning to sound like it isn't going to make things easier.

What I find easiest is deep litter. The chickens like being able to scratch and dig in it, too. I have big coops, lots of birds, and only need to add fresh bedding very occasionally.

One of the locals has planned a Homestead Festival for the 11th of October here in Fossil. I can't imagine too many people will be attending, since it is rather short notice. I'll still be bringing some baby chicks and some older chicks to sell.

If it were closer to the Portland area, no one around here would be able to attend. That's the problem with most poultry related events. All of them are too far away for me and many others in central/eastern Oregon to attend. I couldn't even make it to the poultry swap in Terrebonne this year.

I always say male chicks can stay with the flock until they become a problem. Then one day I wake up to PROBLEMS! I'm happy to report the Freedom Mutt Cockerels have been segregated to their very own grow-out pen as of after dark last night. It's practically a miracle we ever caught those hormonal monsters ... they were born free-range and have refused to spend the night in the coop pretty much ever since. Now for a little peace. Please.

fl.gif

I always say male chicks can stay with the flock until they become a problem. Then one day I wake up to PROBLEMS! I'm happy to report the Freedom Mutt Cockerels have been segregated to their very own grow-out pen as of after dark last night. It's practically a miracle we ever caught those hormonal monsters ... they were born free-range and have refused to spend the night in the coop pretty much ever since. Now for a little peace. Please.

fl.gif
lau.gif
Yes it's a miracle when we can catch them for sure!! Here's a short video that is the absolute BEST way to catch a chicken...and it works!! I posted this some months back and several members emailed me to thank me and all told me they couldn't believe how easy it was!!

0.jpg

Wishing you all the best!
frow.gif

You know what works really well for catching chickens? Toddlers. Kids under 5 who visit here can bring me any chicken and the birds seem to like it.

These Freedom Mutts were something else. Until last night I hadn't been within 15' of any of them. They were surprisingly quiet when I picked them up as they slept.

Are you going to eat them? or feed them back to the flock? or what? Do domestic geese lay many eggs?

I haven't had a goose egg. We've had chicken, duck, turkey here ... I sometimes buy or trade for quail eggs.
We are going to eat these but i will let her hatch some in the future. These are my first geese so from the info ive found & a few others told me she can lay 40 +++ a year. She is still pretty young so im not expecting too much yet. Love them though :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom