Oregon

I helped some friends get their first chicken flock started this weekend. We went to Pistil's Nursery on North Mississippi. It was awesome, we got three little barred rock hens. I think we got the last few Rocks and the rest were black sex links. Also, they had some serama roosters. The sign said they are the world's smallest breed of chicken. Does anyone know what they're for? Just for the sake of novelty, or was there a purpose?

Anyway, it's kind of pricey I think, but Pistil's is a good experience. I think they'll be getting chicks every week all spring and part of the summer.

if you are getting babies - and plan to keep them together you might want to check around - I'm getting all the ones that I plan to raise together during a 3 week window because I've been told that if you get them too far apart in age the older ones might pick on the littler ones, also have been told that you can try keeping them seperate but in sight for a while then letting them together - anyhow - just what I've been told to be careful about mixing ages that are more than a weelk of so apart. (I'm new to this too but been doing a lot of reading/researching/listening so I hopefully won't make any really big mistakes - just lots of little ones)

Holy cow this is a huge thread! Hey all! I just built the coop for our chickens and still building their run. I'm out in SE Portland in the Lents neighborhood.

We bought five chicks about a month ago, but they were from a standard run so we don't know how many roos we have yet. I suspect we have two. Anyways, we got em at Pistil Nursery, and picked up two cochins and three americaunas. A few days later I picked up two standard new hampshire reds that'd been sexed from Foster feed. So we have seven chicks (shhhhh) but will give away the roos once I find out which ones they are.

Quote:
One thing that's worked for me is to put the (fully feathered) chickens together at night when it's dark. That way they have time to get used to each others' sounds and such before light hits.

And another note, there will always be chickens in the flock that will get picked on. That's why it's important to have a large enough enclosure for your number of birds. When I've introduced new birds (of all ages) I've provided boxed-off areas and extra perches for areas of "privacy." For the youngest ones that means a corner or other space that the larger birds can't easily reach or notice.

Quote:
Welcome to the best forum on the planet.
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to all of you !!! Dont know were Id be in my venture of raising chickens if I hadnt found all of these wonderful peeps on this site!!! Hey EvilTOJ, what breed are the might be roosters? Just got 10 buff orps and 8 australorps pullets last Friday and Ive never raised them from babie's, always got chickens from my grandma when they were 6 months and already laying.So now that Im a newbie at the whole chick thing I get to see how accurate they are at sexing them in another 3 weeks?

woo-hoo - got my first batch of babies - or rather my brother did LOL - I knew they were shipping from back east on Saturday - but I was at a show in Seattle for the weekend, due back late Sunday - and kinda figured that it would take at least 2 days... and expected to be roused first thing today - but instead - at 7 am on Easter morning they called - so my brother went in an picked them up - they were all in the room that I had set up before leaving - and WOW are they cute and active and eating - they are a mixed, straight run of the "heavy breeds" and there are at least 9 or 10 different ones that I can tell so far. (also getting some more chicks, pullets later this week and next locally) now I have to go look at the pictures of the chicks and see if I can figure out what they all are. The chicks I have ordered locally are: (3-5 each) Barred Rocks, Aracuana, Black Sex Link, Buff Orpington, Silver and Gold Laced Wynd, Speckled Sussex, WellSummer, Blacl Astralorp and dark Brahma. I am gonna have a big mix of feathered babies.

Back
Top Bottom