Oregon

Those are okay for ubran environments, but as soon as a predator finds out that chicken wire is all thats on the door or a window, my entire flock would be killed, so I needed a solid wood house with solid doors that can also stand up to 70mph winds and 0 degree temps. So far,the over EZ coops have done so well that I bought a second one for my serama. They're also amish made in case anyone cares about that.

Those are okay for ubran environments, but as soon as a predator finds out that chicken wire is all thats on the door or a window, my entire flock would be killed, so I needed a solid wood house with solid doors that can also stand up to 70mph winds and 0 degree temps. So far,the over EZ coops have done so well that I bought a second one for my serama. They're also amish made in case anyone cares about that.
The cages are made of hardware cloth. Which predators are you worried about? Big cats or bears?

Lots of folks are under evacuation notices right now and I've had multiple family and friends displaced down south. Here are a couple things I've seen people posting about as they get their chickens secure for travel:

1. If you are not being evacuated, but worried about the smoke/ash with outdoor chickens you can try turning on sprinklers to reduce ash drifting, or hang wet sheets around the perimeter of your coop/run. If you can bring them inside you can set up a tent with some litter and have a little sleepover, or lay a tarp in a bathroom and keep enclosed there.
2. If you are being evacuated and are unsure of how to transport your birds you can contain them in anything (laundry basket, record crate, big box) as long as it is well ventilated and has a secure top. They can be packed in there, like sardines, head to tail for maximum space saving. You can also wrap them individually in towels or newspapers for travel.
3. Hit up your local Facebook page, state page on BYC, state/city .gov page, Nextdoor or Craisglist. See if anyone is offering their homes/property to people in need as lots of folks have spare space to stash livestock until things are sorted.

Speaking of, I am in Beaverton and have a large yard that can accommodate more birds/cats/dogs and spare rooms. If you or someone you know is in need of a place to go for a few days I am happy to open my home during this troubling time. Feel free to DM me.

Lots of folks are under evacuation notices right now and I've had multiple family and friends displaced down south. Here are a couple things I've seen people posting about as they get their chickens secure for travel:

1. If you are not being evacuated, but worried about the smoke/ash with outdoor chickens you can try turning on sprinklers to reduce ash drifting, or hang wet sheets around the perimeter of your coop/run. If you can bring them inside you can set up a tent with some litter and have a little sleepover, or lay a tarp in a bathroom and keep enclosed there.
2. If you are being evacuated and are unsure of how to transport your birds you can contain them in anything (laundry basket, record crate, big box) as long as it is well ventilated and has a secure top. They can be packed in there, like sardines, head to tail for maximum space saving. You can also wrap them individually in towels or newspapers for travel.
3. Hit up your local Facebook page, state page on BYC, state/city .gov page, Nextdoor or Craisglist. See if anyone is offering their homes/property to people in need as lots of folks have spare space to stash livestock until things are sorted.

Speaking of, I am in Beaverton and have a large yard that can accommodate more birds/cats/dogs and spare rooms. If you or someone you know is in need of a place to go for a few days I am happy to open my home during this troubling time. Feel free to DM me.

Thank you for posting this. I've been thinking about all of these things and haven't ruled out the possibility of moving the birds to the basement, but I'm starting with hanging wetted sheets and seeing how that goes. We've kept the birds confined to the coop which is plenty big enough for them without access to the run-- I can actually put a camp chair into the coop itself and sit with them, which I frequently do anyway, so I'm not worried about it being too confined a space. When I've been in there the air feels clearer than outside for comparison with the wet sheets. I'm hoping this'll last because we don't have a great set up inside for them but will move them if necessary.

I've also put out a lot of water bowls in there and have been refreshing them frequently to make sure they don't get particulate films on the water surface, and to encourage the birds to drink to keep their throats/airways moistened.

What have other folks been doing with their flocks with the wildfire smoke? How are you all holding up?

Stay safe and be careful, everyone. The wind shifted today and the air quality has gotten worse. I’m in the east end of the state and the smoke has reached me in the last couple of hours. The whole state is in hazardous levels of smoke. Stay indoors if you can.

Hey OR peeps: anyone have Bresse/interesting eggs for hatching? I want to participate in this month's HAL and need 1-2 dozen eggs in the next week or so. Willing to travel a little ways outside of PDX for pick-up!

Howdy from NoPO, I have no eggs, and just ordered my first Incubator. Also would be interested in Bresse at some point. EE, Black Star, Cinnamon Queen, and Ameracauna. Hatch-a-long is a great idea! I.m learning things i didn't know I'd need to know, LOL..

Back
Top Bottom