Organic Chicken/Eggs

Quote:
I didn't say that, I said they cannot be given to sick birds.

Did you read what I wrote? Didn't think so.
wink.png

Organic hens cannot be treated with low-level antibiotics for various infections etc. However, serious outbreaks of disease or infection in a flock can be treated.
smile.png

Sure I read what you wrote: with an earned doctorate I did learn to read. Though they didn't teach me how to spell very well.

And I will still ask my original question which makes perfect sense in response to what you originally wrote:

Why should antibiotics be given to birds (non-commercial) if they weren't sick?

Last edited:
Quote:
Basically, No.

For chickens or eggs to be organic, at least the way the government regulates the term now a days, the chicks should be on organic feed from the beginning. There are other practices besides feed that make chickens and their eggs organic: No pesticides on the chickens for lice or for mites in the coop, no chemical wormers, no antibiotics, no people food scraps that aren't also organic, and if they have access to the outdoors the area needs to managed organically as well. This is why organic eggs bring a higher price.

As a customer who spends a lot more for organic products, I would expect that the food I was paying extra for was always organic, not just partially or recently. If fruit and veggie producers at farmers markets said their products were Organic, but in reality they just haven't sprayed the plants with chemicals the last month or two, and did spray pesticides on the seedlings initially to get them "off to a good start", it is false advertizing and defeats the purpose of organic production. And same with organic eggs.

Be honest with your customers. You will still get good money for humanely raised eggs.

Last edited:
Sure I read what you wrote: with an earned doctorate I did learn to read.

And I will still ask my original question which makes perfect sense in response to what you originally wrote:

Why should antibiotics be given to birds (non-commercial) if they weren't sick?

*Yawn*

As there are several antibiotics out there for treatment of infection and illness "no antibiotics" clearly encompasses all.

Back to the original poster. Hope my comments help.
wink.png

Last edited:
I came here to ask questions and hopefully answer a few, not have my comments dissected by someone with a degree in pedantry. I have no wish to engage in fruitless dialogue with you or anyone else, I merely wish to exchange views on a discussion board with like-minded people. Thank you.

Quote:
I would not attempt to raise non-medicated chicks on wire. One of the most important parts of developing immunity to coccidiosis is exposure to low levels of the parasite. This means they need to be on the ground, around some adult chicken poop. Raising them in a sterile environment sets them up with a naive immune system. Then, put them out with the coop, have some wet weather with the perfect growing conditions for cocci and you have a bunch of really sick chickens.
Better to raise them on the ground and build their immune system gradually. Use good judgement, of douse. Don't put them on ground that housed a bunch of sick chicks or put them out when conditions are a set-up for cocci. If it's really wet, you can raise them indoors ( stall in a barn or something) and seed the ground with a little adult poop before they go outdoors. Or, have them vaccinated at the hatchery.
As far as organic, I'd probably call them natural eggs if they haven't been certified organic.

If you're looking at getting certified organic or getting an organic exemption, you'll want to follow the guidelines of the National Organic Program, which means no medicated feed, no pressure treated lumber in the coop (unless there's a barrier between it and the chickens), giving the chickens adequate space and access to the outdoors, etc. This ATTRA publication "Organic Poultry Production in the US" used to be free online, but now they charge .99 cents:

https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/summaries/summary.php?pub=177

I sell organic produce with an organic exemption, and started my chicks on organic, non-medicated feed. I'm new to chickens and am worried about cocci, but they're 11 weeks old and so far so good. I followed some of the advice on this forum as far as putting dirt in the brooder to get the chicks accustomed to the cocci in the soil. My understanding of the NOP rules is that if I ever give my chickens dewormer or antibiotics, they need to be pulled from the organic program forever, and separated from any officially organic chickens that I have. I bought Corid and will treat at the first signs of bloody stools or whatever, and just not sell my eggs as organic. It's more important to me that my chickens are healthy than organic. I could still advertise that they are fed organic feed, that they're pasture raised - which I honestly think is more important anyway - I just couldn't sell the eggs as officially organic. I'm pretty picky about what my family eats, and my chickens are no exception. I'm not comfortable with the ingredients in the non-organic feed that I've found, so I'm keeping them on their organic feed regardless.

Having one's words dissected is bad form. I also said I have no wish to engage in "fruitless dialogue" - does anyone?

I must say that the majority of people on here have shown themselves to be very friendly and responsive with a very healthy dose of civility, why someone feels the need to be so pedantic when I merely offered a viewpoint is beyond me. In the UK my statement is perfectly acceptable, if that's not the case elswhere then there's very little I can do about that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom