organic cracked corn

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
is there a old post about good places to but organic feeds? in particular cracked corn, I am able to get the feeds fine but cant find the corn at all.

When I lived in the Midwest, we actually GREW our own dent corn for drying in the field and grinding/cracking for chicken feed. It easy, cheap and you can be as "organic" as you like. Nothing like the old ways!

thanks
smile.png

We've had problems finding organic cracked corn. So next year we are planning on growing our own. Just enough to give to the chickens on cold nights.

is making it just a matter of leaving it on the stalk to dry naturally and then grinding or crushing it a bit? Well whatever the process is I guess I will have to learn it, is ther a specific type of corn I should do this with? I have been ordering my seeds for spring.

You'll have to find a field corn. Sweet corn doesn't have enough starch to actually dry into a kernel looking like corn. I can't do it here, since our season is too short, or rather, too cool. It has so few heat days that short season sweet corn is all we can do.

Back
Top Bottom