organic cracked corn

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AHappychick, Dec 26, 2008.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    is there a old post about good places to but organic feeds? in particular cracked corn, I am able to get the feeds fine but cant find the corn at all.

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I'm trying to search but haven't found one yet.

3. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    When I lived in the Midwest, we actually GREW our own dent corn for drying in the field and grinding/cracking for chicken feed. It easy, cheap and you can be as "organic" as you like. Nothing like the old ways!

4. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    You might check backyardpoultrymag.com. It's a great magazine and they have lots of advertisers including ads for organic feed.

5. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    thanks [​IMG]

6. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    We've had problems finding organic cracked corn. So next year we are planning on growing our own. Just enough to give to the chickens on cold nights.

7. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    is making it just a matter of leaving it on the stalk to dry naturally and then grinding or crushing it a bit? Well whatever the process is I guess I will have to learn it, is ther a specific type of corn I should do this with? I have been ordering my seeds for spring.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You'll have to find a field corn. Sweet corn doesn't have enough starch to actually dry into a kernel looking like corn. I can't do it here, since our season is too short, or rather, too cool. It has so few heat days that short season sweet corn is all we can do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by