Organic feed alternative???

Jessar1010

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Mansfield, Ohio
I have about 60 chickens and 3 pekin ducks. I am currently feeding organic laying mash, 16% protein, that I buy from Meyer Hatchery at a cost of $22 per 50# bag. I am going through SOOO much feed right now!! I realize I have a lot of chickens but 200# of feed lasted 10 days. Being relatively new to chickens...does this sound unreasonable? I am wondering if there is a good alternative to organic feed or if anyone has a recipe they have the feed mill make up for them that might be more reasonable in price. I read that many commerical feeds have low levels of arsenic in the feed which is why I went with the organic to begin with. The eggs are great and I can see a difference in texture & taste with organic vs. commerically feed, but just wondered if there might be another option. Any thoughts???

That sounds about right for cold weather, about .33 lbs/hen/day.

If you want to stick with organic feed, try diluting it with some organic cracked corn, which is cheaper. For the winter, you could probably add up to 20% corn without cutting their protein intake too much.

Other than that, I wouldn't be too scared of the conventional feed. If you have access to a feed mill, just work with them on a recipe using conventional whole grains, without any feed stocks derived from by-products.

I feed a 17 % blend that the feed store here in harrisonville mo makes that works really well its not a pelleted feed it is a blend of various things just for chickens (Layers) If you have a feed store close to you! It is possible that he would release to them the blend he does!

Ramseys Feed store in Harrisonville Mo He mixes it for18 dollara a bag

Ernie

I am assuming you mean Meyer Hatchery in Ohio because that is where I have bought my organic feed. If so, the label on the Meyer bag say it is from Maysville Elevator, so I looked that up on line and called them directly. They are in Apple Creek (on the other side of Wooster), and they sell it for $14.50 for a 50 lb bag ($7.50 less than Meyers). I asked about bulk discounts, and she said they discount 2% for paying cash on anything over $25.

I am looking into this to see if I go in on it with a few others that maybe we could car pool for chicken feed. I just looked into this last week so the above info is accurate. Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for all the info! I actually had written the number down for Maysville feed & was going to call & see how much it would be to buy direct. Apple Creek is probably an hour & 15 min drive for me, but for a discount of $7.50 a bag I will make the drive for as much as I'm going through. As it is now it takes me 45 minutes to drive to Meyers. I also got the numbers to a few other feed mills that sell organic & I was going to check the cost there & the location. They've done very well on the organic so I would like to keep them on it or at least something similar. If you would like, I can post prices once I get them from the other mills. I really appreciate the information shared on this site. I have learned so much here!

Back
Top Bottom