Organic feed alternative???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jessar1010, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Jessar1010

Jessar1010 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    Mansfield, Ohio
    I have about 60 chickens and 3 pekin ducks. I am currently feeding organic laying mash, 16% protein, that I buy from Meyer Hatchery at a cost of $22 per 50# bag. I am going through SOOO much feed right now!! I realize I have a lot of chickens but 200# of feed lasted 10 days. Being relatively new to chickens...does this sound unreasonable? I am wondering if there is a good alternative to organic feed or if anyone has a recipe they have the feed mill make up for them that might be more reasonable in price. I read that many commerical feeds have low levels of arsenic in the feed which is why I went with the organic to begin with. The eggs are great and I can see a difference in texture & taste with organic vs. commerically feed, but just wondered if there might be another option. Any thoughts???

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    That sounds about right for cold weather, about .33 lbs/hen/day.

If you want to stick with organic feed, try diluting it with some organic cracked corn, which is cheaper. For the winter, you could probably add up to 20% corn without cutting their protein intake too much.

Other than that, I wouldn't be too scared of the conventional feed. If you have access to a feed mill, just work with them on a recipe using conventional whole grains, without any feed stocks derived from by-products.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Have you tried organic layer pellets? I buy it for treats for my chickens. (I think pellets are less wasteful.)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  4. emarble

emarble Chillin' With My Peeps

I feed a 17 % blend that the feed store here in harrisonville mo makes that works really well its not a pelleted feed it is a blend of various things just for chickens (Layers) If you have a feed store close to you! It is possible that he would release to them the blend he does!

Ramseys Feed store in Harrisonville Mo He mixes it for18 dollara a bag

Ernie

5. catterbug

catterbug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    I am assuming you mean Meyer Hatchery in Ohio because that is where I have bought my organic feed. If so, the label on the Meyer bag say it is from Maysville Elevator, so I looked that up on line and called them directly. They are in Apple Creek (on the other side of Wooster), and they sell it for $14.50 for a 50 lb bag ($7.50 less than Meyers). I asked about bulk discounts, and she said they discount 2% for paying cash on anything over $25.

I am looking into this to see if I go in on it with a few others that maybe we could car pool for chicken feed. I just looked into this last week so the above info is accurate. Hope this helps!

6. Jessar1010

Jessar1010 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    Mansfield, Ohio
    Thanks so much for all the info! I actually had written the number down for Maysville feed & was going to call & see how much it would be to buy direct. Apple Creek is probably an hour & 15 min drive for me, but for a discount of $7.50 a bag I will make the drive for as much as I'm going through. As it is now it takes me 45 minutes to drive to Meyers. I also got the numbers to a few other feed mills that sell organic & I was going to check the cost there & the location. They've done very well on the organic so I would like to keep them on it or at least something similar. If you would like, I can post prices once I get them from the other mills. I really appreciate the information shared on this site. I have learned so much here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by