Organic feed for Broilers

The term "Organic" is a marketing term who's usage is controlled by the USDA. You must be certified that none of the feed items you use has anything on a list of restricted chemicals and that none of the animals you have have been exposed to any of the items.

If you don't them you cannot add the label "Organic" to your products.

You must be inspected to insure that you have not used any of these restricted chemicals, and keep records for where you got your feed items from.

You can use the terms like Farm Fresh, Cage Free, Free Ranged.

The reasons behind why feeding the Chickens on Grass is better is that because of how commercial feed is processed, it loses trace minerals and vitamins from the original plant material.

Also not all grasses are equal when it comes to what mineral and vitamins they contain. Crab Grass has more then Kentucky Blue Grass, also the height of the grass is important, as grass gets older it contains more silica as it gets taller and less mineral and vitamins.

Tom

I used organic feed for mine and there was a big difference in taste. Our feed store prices are 2$ more per 50lbs for organic feed, well worth supporting the efforts of sustainable agriculture to me.

Quote:
$8 a hundred vs $12 a hundred is a big difference to me. $160 a ton or $240 a ton & I feed the cheap stuff after they get old enough to go out side.

That is just to much of a difference to me. Now if you want to raise it yourself that is a different story. I try not to use chemicals on anything here.

Economicaly it's a tough one to swallow. If it's your personal preferance I could understand. But the differences are not that big as far as nutritional and taste.... not big enough to justify the price.

I've done a lot of research on both... and raised both. But again it's a personal preferance.

Quote:
If the difference in price was that small here, I'd buy organic feed. I can't even find organic feed here, I'd have to order it. I pay $7.75 average (it goes up and down throughout the year) per 50 lb of minimally processed layer ration, I add distiller's grain, ($6 per 50 lb) or sometimes soy meal ($12.50 per 50 lb. but I use a lot less, it's higher protein) to boost the protein. Organic feed would run me around $35 (or more) per 50 lb. bag, by the time I paid shipping. Thus, it's out of the question for me at this time. However, I'm looking into ways I might be able to mix my own at some time in the future or at least be able to grow part of the feed.

I'm not concerned about what I can legally call my chickens or my eggs, as I only raise meat for my own freezer, I don't sell it. And my egg customers know I don't use organic feed, but that my flock does range freely in the daytime, over a large acreage with access to organic pastures and woods. And scraps from our organic garden. So mine fall in between, they get lotsa good stuff ranging, and though the feed's not organic, it's minimally processed, (I feed mash, its coarsely ground grains, with a vitamin/mineral supplement added) and I never feed medicated feed. I feel that this is a good compromise, until such time as I can gradually increase organic feeding.

It has been my experience that most "organic" feeds aren't. Over the years I've tried 4 different suppliers and when samples were tested at Abbott Labs in Chicago, Ill. Results were always positive for at least 7 non-organic compounds and the last 2 samples tested positive GM corn.

I just buy non-medicated, animal by-product free product that tested as good as 'organic' feeds. I've yet to find anyone that can taste the difference.

The biggest problem with 'organic' chicken feed market is consistency in nutrition levels (vita/min)--sometimes near 0 levels of some major vitamins required by the Cornish X, which leads to slow growth and many health problems.

Try to buy the 'cleanest' proper feeds developed for the particular birds you’re raising. The body has an uncanny ability to shed contaminants especially if the feed is rich in antioxidants.

There is an organic feed company in PA that is real good, but the feed plus shipping is $4560 per ton. I would have to sell a 5 pound bird for $50 to make it worth while. How many would pay that? That is $11.40 per bird for feed alone at 4-1/2 weeks of age and more than double that cost for a 7 week old bird. Then add labor and other costs to include chick price.

The big boys grow their own feeds and process it themselves or are members in a co-op that does it for them in exchange for a portion for their crops.

Most home growers don't have the know how to blend an effective quality broiler feed or to ensure the 'organic' feed they buy is organic. I am a retired Biochemist-Nutritionist and find it hard to keep up with all the changes in the marketplace concerning animal feeds. Many changes are mandated by Federal law to force manufacturers to maintain a standard for a given animal feed.

But one does what one is comfortable with. I’m just a fussy Old Fart when it comes to nutrition for my birds. Feed must have the building proper blocks (organic or not) to maintain a healthy bird even it is for a few short weeks.

Quote:
Seramas, did you send the samples to Abbott, or is there a list somewhere that can be accessed? If you sent them, what does it cost (approx.) to have a sample tested?

I wouldn't mind getting some samples tested, if the cost isn't prohibitive. I think the feed I'm getting is pretty clean, but I have no way to know that for sure.

Most grains are somewhat protected from direct contact with sprays and such because there's a husk between the grain and the chemicals. But some might soak through, more than others, some might travel systemically through the plant, more than others, and there's potential for additional contamination during milling, too.

I figure at least with being free-range, (real free-range, not legalese free-range) mine get better nutrition than factory birds, anyway.

Wow that is very interesting I would love to see the test results. However why wouldn't the regs be more strict on companies that claim to have organic feed. You would think it would be mandatory for feed to be tested to be certified...

Goes to show you if this is true.... this is one more reason why "organic" chicken/feed is no more superior than plain jayne chickens from the store. Paying more for less in my opinion, chickens need animal protein.... which is why they are omnivours... a diet that is corn, soy, and oats, just doesn't do it.

Back
Top Bottom