Organic Feeding

abitcrunchy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
I've only just begun to learn about farm animals and I still have a lot to learn. When I think of caring for my critters, I always ask myself one question: How was it done hundreds of years ago and what dangers (posed today, but not so much back then) need consideration. Usually those dangers are the chemicals and corruption but if you're not into organics you probably won't get what I mean by that.

I get frustrated at the lack of thought people put into their decision to use synthetics and other man-made food and materials.

A year ago, I was told not to feed the pet bunnies or adult bunnies --- carrots! WHAT? Rabbits eat carrots!!! Don't they? As a grower I've witnessed many a lettuce and carrot patch be destroyed over night by suspected rabbits.

What I later learned is that I need to consider where the information came from. Who is it that wants me to feed my bunnies wal-mart stuff from a bag instead of real food from my garden???

So I call the guy who sold me the bunnies and told me how to feed them...seems his information came from his university indoctrination...I mean --- education.

The textbooks at his university are written, produced, approved and sold by those with conflicts of interest. Just like they are in all 50 states and other developed countries too.

He's being sold a lie, and then he sells me bunnies with that lie attached. Don't feed them real food, feed them only approved (by that, it must include the name "Purina") feed.

Really? Now I have baby chicks and find myself experiencing the same guilt for betraying the mainstream ideas on feeding them.

And so I come here today to ask permission to feed my month old chicks some flaxseed. I see a conversation about another God-made plant that is shunned...it's all very depressing when I realize what we've all been indoctrinated to believe. :(

Anyone else able to see the same?

There are some on here that are organic, who are into mixing their own feed. Just because you are leaving the main roads isn't a reason for guilt. As to the flax seed, too much can mess up the chickens system. That's if they eat it. I can't tell you how much as I'm not one to mix their feed.

Yep, same deal with carrots and bunnies. They like 'em, and they can eat 'em, but there's a lot of sugar in them, so (just like a kid with candy), they'll eat too much or eat that instead of things they need. It's all about balance.

Hi abitcrunchy,

I agree 'science' is heavily compromised. It's frustrating that GMOs and worse creep into the food chain without our say-so. If we were given choice via labeling then we could vote with our $. Not happening.
sad.png

Meanwhile there are increasing numbers of mystery ailments in children (and adults) that science can't explain (or doesn't want to).

Like you my response is to learn all I can about the basics and then try to make my own feed. I won't say it's easy but it's very satisfying to see chicks grow faster on my home diet than on commercially formulated chick feed.

Flax I think might be a problem feedstuff when fed to chicks or birds above 4% in the diet, but it's still worth trying. I gather there are issues with absorbing other nutrients when using flax, so chicks grow slower. Not sure how much of a problem this might be, but I for one wouldn't think you cruel for trying it and seeing what happens (at a sensible inclusion rate that is).

Good luck on your journey toward making your own complete feeds (or whatever you're hoping to do). It's not rocket science but I can say from experience there are pitfalls. Still, it's worth it.

Erica

When we had our chickens before (different property) I didn't feed them any commercially prepared food except a scratch mix I made up myself and kitchen scraps plus they were free range.

We had a rooster and in the spring one of the hens went broody and sat on 18 eggs, hatching 15 of them, she took all the chicks off into the grass and found them stuff to eat and they all thrived

No special food, no chick starter, no special treatment

Last edited:
Hi "abitcrunchy"!
I too, am new to the chicken world. We have 4, 2 week old chicks...... so sweet. I am going to raise them organic and free range as to the best of my ability!! I found a mill near us that makes their scratch from Amish grown corn......no chemicals. That is so cool!
Good luck to you and your chicks! ~Beulah

I would LOVE LOVE to feed my chicks "organic" or non-commercially produced feed, but find I have trouble locating truly organic ingredients. I never thought of the Amish.....around here we dont have Amish but what we call Hutterites. Similar lifestyle. I wonder how they would feel about selling me some chicken feed.

I am new here as well, but I found a website that has organic feeds and at, what seems to be, affordable prices. They are located in VA an a 50 lb bag is $25.50 with Shipping to NY at only $17. The place is Countryside Organics. http://www.countrysideorganics.com/home.php

My chicks will not be here for another 2 weeks and this is my first attempt so I really don't know anything about it (just being honest). We want to raise them as "Organic" as possible. I think this is the feed we will use. Seems pretty good. Would love some feedback from the more Seasoned members.

A year ago, I was told not to feed the pet bunnies or adult bunnies --- carrots! WHAT? Rabbits eat carrots!!! Don't they? As a grower I've witnessed many a lettuce and carrot patch be destroyed over night by suspected rabbits.
rabbits LOVE carrots--but feeding carrots to rabbits is like feeding them candy-carrots are to high in sugar to be eatin every day. They do better on GREEN greens-the deeper green the better(no iceburg) So of course if rabbits have gotten into your garden they will go for the sweeter veggies(carrots).
bun.gif

Flax as a supplement should be fine and should raise the omega 3 value of the eggs.

Tractor supply actually sells an "omega 3" supplement and it is just flax meals. So even big box stores recognize the value of lax. ;)

Back
Top Bottom