Organic Layer Feed - Anyone Use It?

PatrickRoo

Songster
Jun 2, 2017
Today while shopping at TSC, we walked over to the clearance section and found some Manna Pro Organic Layer Pellets, only $7.99 for a 10lb bag. (And you know how organic livestock feed is quite pricey.) So, we grabbed 3 bags, then the person at the checkout marked the feed down even more. I was iffy though at how cheap the feed was, and since it was in the clearance section, I decided I should check the expiration date. There wasn't one. So, all I could do was just sniff the feed, check for mold, and inspect anything that seemed suspicious.

Fortunately, it passed my "feed test" and I decided to feed it to the flock. They mowed it down. The ingredients seem pretty good, plus it's non-GMO. I would feed organic, non-GMO feed to the flock all the time if only we could afford it. We generally feed Nutrena NatureWise Layer Pellets, or Nutrena Country Feeds All Flock. They are inexpensive, but unfortunately contain GMO ingredients.

But, getting back to the main point, I was wondering if anyone on BYC uses the Manna Pro Organic Layer Pellets. What was the quality of your eggs like? Did you experience any problems whatsoever while feeding the pellets? I'd love to know.

~ PatrickRoo

I usually ferment a mash, but I switch to pellets when I'm out of town and need food to last for a few days. The Manna Pro Layer pellets are what I feed then. They've worked great, hens seem to like them, no waste, all good!

Today while shopping at TSC, we walked over to the clearance section and found some Manna Pro Organic Layer Pellets, only $7.99 for a 10lb bag. (And you know how organic livestock feed is quite pricey.) So, we grabbed 3 bags, then the person at the checkout marked the feed down even more. I was iffy though at how cheap the feed was, and since it was in the clearance section, I decided I should check the expiration date. There wasn't one. So, all I could do was just sniff the feed, check for mold, and inspect anything that seemed suspicious.

Fortunately, it passed my "feed test" and I decided to feed it to the flock. They mowed it down. The ingredients seem pretty good, plus it's non-GMO. I would feed organic, non-GMO feed to the flock all the time if only we could afford it. We generally feed Nutrena NatureWise Layer Pellets, or Nutrena Country Feeds All Flock. They are inexpensive, but unfortunately contain GMO ingredients.

But, getting back to the main point, I was wondering if anyone on BYC uses the Manna Pro Organic Layer Pellets. What was the quality of your eggs like? Did you experience any problems whatsoever while feeding the pellets? I'd love to know.

~ PatrickRoo
Yes! I honestly can't remember brands, but I use an organic pellet from Away ... when I encountered the cheaper organic feed from TSC, I started buying it. I can't tell you if it changed the quality of the egg, because my whole flock went on strike! At first I thought 'they need t just get used to the new feed' ... then after a while I wondered if they were molting. I stuck with that feed for SIX MONTHS to give it a chance, and my eggs dropped in production by about 80%. Finally enough was enough ... after tough negotiations with the flock's union rep (Layers' local 128), I switched back to the Agway feed, we all got along, mealworms for everyone that day, and the strike was broken.

I feed Nature's Best Organic found at TSC. Layer is .64 a lb. & 18% grower is .68 a lb. in 40 pound bags. They quit selling it at my feed store when Purina started with organic. TSC has Purina Organic, but it is more expensive then the Nature's Best.

I am no help, but I feed the New Country Organic and I FF with it.
I did see the TSC ones but they all had SOY in it. I don't want soy.
I did pick up a bag of Purina Organics at local Feed store but after I got home I saw it has Soy in it. I am mixing a very little bit in with my FF on NCO just to use it but I may see if I can find someone to buy the rest.
My pullets are not laying yet.
Just wanted to say what I was feeding. :)

You should be able to find Green Mountain No Soy feed in MA. That is a great feed. Nature's Best is coming out with No Soy hopefully very soon. I was told September now. It will also be sold at TSC.

Back
Top Bottom