organic or conventional?

guillemette

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2015
sanford maine
So I am new to raising chickens and am considering switching to organic feed. Could anyone help me out with the benefits of organic eggs vs conventional grown eggs? I am Considering the blue seal organic layer pellets. My 4 week old chicks are eating purina starter crumble now was thinking of switching when I have to change to a layer feed. Any help would be great thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome! It's a personal choice, and also is dependent on feed availability where you live. To be officially organic, chicks must be fed exclusively organic feeds from one day of age. Egg quality depends on freshness, and feed quality, but not in the organic vs. non-organic sense, but in the protein/ vitamin/ fatty acid blend. Birds that free range on good ground tend to have better eggs than confined birds. Treating the yard with pesticides or weed killers, isn't good for the chickens anyway. Mary

Also to be officially organic the land the animals are raised on has to be certified organic, which requires it to sit for a number of years before any "truly" organic products can be produced from it. As as been stated here and in may other posts, what you feed is a personal choice. Research what's available and compare ingredients and nutrients. There won't be any difference between organic and conventional. Blue Seal (Kent) is a great feed company and while I have never fed their organic feed I'm sure it is of top notch quality just like there other poultry feeds. Here Blue Seal runs $20 a bag minimum. I'm a little scared to know what there organic feed runs.

I am doing organic. Sounds like its better for the birds and obviously better for the eggs.

Most organic grains have a lot of insecticide residues, conventional feeds not so much. The belief that organic is pesticide free is false. Some of your grandfathers' most deadly and persistent pesticides are just peachy on organic crops.

Back
Top Bottom