Organic or non-organic

So far I have looked more closely at the brand and their feed for other animals I have experience with. For grower feed I have a choice between an organic grower feed from a company known for crappy grain. You can tell when a horse gets their grain because it's coat looks scruffy. My other choice for grower is a local company known for good quality grains. Horses look amazing on their grains. Their grower is not organic but I use it anyway. When we switch to layer feed there is another company that makes an organic layer locally. I plan on buying that as I have only heard good things.

rstampa First off just a friendly correction. She is a he.

oops sorry
frow.gif
e need a blushing smilie lol​

Quote:
oops sorry
frow.gif
e need a blushing smilie lol

That is perfectly OK. I would have have done the samething with the ungender user name I have.
Thanks for all the comments as well.
rs
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I have not noticed my hens egg yokes being more fragile than store bought eggs, either conventional or organic. They fry up beautifully and the white doesn't spread all over, better than any I have got from a store since they are so fresh.

The yokes are very orange from my hens eggs, but I feed trimmings from my organic garden as well, that is most likely the cause of the bright yokes.

I don't have access to organic feeds and would have to have them shipped to me also, so I do feel like the expense is not worth the bother.

I free range, my lawn nor the surrounding fields have had any chemical treatment for the past 4 years (the time I've been here) and I buy laying mash, not crumbles or pelleted feed, that has been produced locally. My local SS grinds it from whole grains and my chickens love it and thrive on it!

Organic feeds are a good choice, if they are available and you can afford them. If you cannot, one can only do the best they can to obtain foods that are as safe as they can be.

I, too, feel like organic or all-natural threads take a bashing on these forums...sometimes with sarcastic and derisive tones that suggests that the livestock owner is obviously deluded. It would be very nice to be able to discuss these kinds of things without some "livestock nutrition expert" reading from the USDA site about how horrible our choice is for our animals. Not that this has been done on this particular thread, but it has been done frequently in the past.

As with any topic...if you have no interest in it or you don't find any merit in it, it would be kind of nice if you just find another thread to submit to. Debate can lead to good information, but sometimes? It just gets old.
roll.png

Organic = expensive(for me) but...not necessarily the primary focus of some folks. Sometimes quality is worth the price, as I'm sure some of you will agree!
smile.png

I have been feeding the organic chick starter to my chicks that had been vaccinated since day one and they have done just fine on it. I believe organic means that no chemicals only all natural things were used to produce the feed. Tho I think it is a good choice for feeding It really is expensive if you have lots of chicks, chickens. I was feeding it but must now switch over to something more afforable. I started buying my chicks and ended up with about 75 of the little rascals
big_smile.png
I was paying about 26.00 a bag not sure of the weight but it didn't last very long. Today I just bought a bag of Purina Start & Grow Sunfresh, and that was 13.00 or so. So I can get 2 bags of S&G for the same price as one bag of the organic. Guess you could figure that out!
smile.png

I would love to be able to afford Organic feed. The best I can do though is non-medicated. I know organic is better for us, and I know that not all food stuff is bad, but how do you know which ones are okay and which are not? See, that is what is so hard. So, organice when I can, non-medicated for sure and never using chemicals again on my own garden. Just no reason for ME to, but a big farmer, well, I understand. It is necessary or go out of business most of the time. And, that is a whole nother discussion. Just MHO. HenZ

Quote:
Thank you so much Beekissed. You have given me the exact answer I was looking for. Organic is also not available in my area with in 200 miles. Miami or Gainesville which is just too far for me to travel. The cost is a big factor for me as well. Not so much the feed itself but the $40. plus in shipping. Which I think is just outrageous. I buy whole grain Spring Wheat and Rye for making my own bread. They come in a 50 lb bags. The shipping cost is $28.00 whether I buy one bag or ten. So I just don't understand why the shipping for feed is $40+ for each bag. Go figure.
idunno.gif

Thanks again for your comments.

You're quite welcome, rstampa!
smile.png
We like to eat as organically or naturally as we can here at my house, but we are also under the poverty line, so one has to be practical and just do the best you can, you know?

Quote:
I beg to differ, I dont want to eat meat or eggs that ate corn that as it was growing had the power or chemicals inside it to kill bugs. I dont like the pesticides and other garbage that is in the non organic. I also like self sustainability. There are a lot of good reasons to eat organically.

Show me a school that allows peanut butter and I will show you a dinosaur. I am so sick of people being so blind to all the crap in our environment that is hurting us and our children. Things are not what they use to be, and what is the biggest change in the last 40 years???? our food that's what!

Show me someone who says bad things about organic food I will show you an unhealthy person who frequents places like McD's too much and thinks that as long as it says edible than it must be ok to go into you.

oH AND ONE LAST THING WHY IS IT WHEN EVER SOME ONE HAS THE GALL TO ASK AN ORGANIC QUESTION ALL THESE NON ORGANIC PEOPLE FEEL THE NEED TO BUTT IN AND SAY HOW FAKE AND WHAT A GIMIC IT IS.
I dont go into the other sections and mock people for their choices and beliefs. She asked a question and there was no need to act like her choice or the feed she is considering is a waste of money. There are plent of us who do things organically and I for one would love to see one freaking thread about it where we can have a civil conversation with out having to defend why we live this way. Geez Louise!!!

and with that I am off to bed!
somad.gif

Can I remind you that were talking about chickens and not ourselfs I however have tried both organic and nonorganic and the chickens,eggs were exactly the same.

Back
Top Bottom