Organic poutlry starter crumbles not medicated

MoSo

In the Wild Plum Yonder
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
near Crater Lake NP, Oregon
The organic poultry starter I bought is not medicated, and the feed store didn't think any of the chicks had been vaccinated. There are no other chickens in the area, although we do live on a wildlife/bird refuge that has a large wild bird population (from golden and bald eagles, pelicans, ducks, geese down to grosbeaks, redwing blackbird, grosbeaks, sparrows, finches, goldfinches, juncos, woodpeckers etc etc etc). Should I be concerned about Marek's or coccidosis, and if I should be, is it possible to buy an additive and put it in the feed myself?

From what I've been told by a very experienced poultry keeper, if you're going to feed unmedicated starter you shouldn't take your chicks outside at all until they are 12 weeks old. By that point their immune systems have developed to a point where they can handle some exposure to disease. Coccidosis is a parasite that exists in soil and there is a good chance that it is present if poultry has ever been kept on your property regardless of how long ago it was. It is best to assume that it is present. I don't know if there are additives, maybe someone else can speak to that one?

I also use non med chick started I also dont take chicks out till much older I still have 17 wk olds in my garage. totally organic

Back
Top Bottom