Organic Pride Animal Food?

• Chicken Starter/Grower feeds generally have 18-22% protein and 0.5-0.8% calcium(low end for pullets to help prevent premature laying, and 22% for broilers & turkey finisher)
  • Layer rations have about 16% protein and 3.5% calcium
  • Adult maintenance/off-season breeder formulas have only 12-14% protein and 0.5% Calcium. (Birds in molt could use more protein as feathers are mostly protein.)
  • Many other species need higher protein as chicks. (some are around 30% ie game-bird starter)
3.5% calcium feed(complete feed fed alone) for more than a few days in a bird that is not laying will cause kidney damage, it is meant for modern 5+ eggs per week year-round layers.
If in doubt or with a mixed flock of layers and non layers with fresh food access(pasture) use the grower formula, and put out a separate dish of crushed oyster shells for the birds to eat free-choice. Do the same if they are almost old enough to lay, birds of all types build up a special egg-laying calcium reserve in the weeks just before they start laying. Green leafy plants actually contain quite a bit of calcium. (In a good balance with some other minerals like Mg and phosphorus and a fair amount of protein. ie. One cup of cooked bok-choy has more usable calcium than a cup of milk.(and no saturated fat)

I have two laying and 5 approaching lay with lots of 'pasture' still in their run, so I have started mixing in 1/4-1/3layer feed with 2/3-3/4 grower and putting out a dish of oyster shell.(Organic pride and Purina as that's what they had in stock.)

Thanks for the information, everyone. Just today, I was very confused looking at the bag that the guy at the feed store sold my husband. We're new at the backyard chicken concept and want to do the right thing by our girls. I'd asked my husband to get some organic starter/grower feed, and he came home with a great big bag of Organic Pride animal feed... for poultry and livestock. I couldn't imagine that the nutritional needs for goats and chickens pictured on the bag could possibly be the same, and like other folks on this thread, couldn't tell anything from what was written on the bag. Thanks to this thread, I found the label and learned that the guy had sold us a big bag of layer crumbles.

Our girls are almost 12 weeks old - definitely not laying yet. Even so, when he asked for starter/grower feed, the guy at the feed store told my husband that "this is better." Checking the label, the protein is 16% and calcium 4% - this stuff is definitely NOT what they need. Our brood hen is laying again, and we do have oyster shells for calcium available for her. Fortunately, they are pastured for most of the day, so they're getting other stuff, too.

My husband figured the guy knew what he was talking about... think maybe not.

I guess we'll put this away for awhile and get some more starter feed. The feeder is about half full of starter feed, so we can get the right stuff tomorrow.

But I do have a question - will the layer feed stay fresh if kept in a cool, dark place, in a sealed plastic tub? My husband already had stored the feed to keep mice out of it before I realized he had the wrong feed.

Thanks again for the wealth of information here.

If you go to Tractor Supply there is a complete list of ingredients. In addition, there are foods for other animals specifically tagged. The one for chickens is clearly stated. You will see the bag name and information clearly.

When I did my price shopping for feed by phone my Tractor Supply Company said they had 50 lbs bags of Organic Pride in stock (this is during the month of July) and it was definitely the cheapest organic pellets I found. However when I went in they didn't actually have it and said they only carry it as a "seasonal item." Not sure what the season is for chicken feed?!

Back
Top Bottom