Organic vs. Non-Organic worming?

TK Poultry

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Greencastle, Indiana
im looking into new and more effective wormers for spring and i was wanting to know the pros and cons of both i used a garlic solution last spring but i dont know how effective that was

I have only used organic methods and occasionally stare at a fresh poop. I have never seen anything in any of my birds nor seen signs of worms. I do use amprol for cocci in addition to organic methods.

for worming I blend raw pumpkin seeds, de, buttermilk all together. I make them fast for a day then feed them just the mix for 1 day. I follow up the next day with oatmeal and some garlic. the tird day its back to regular feed. I do this once a year and am very generous with ACV in their water and the use od DE the rest of the year. I also move around pens as much as I can to avoid chooks living in the same areas although some runs are unmovable.

Quote:
Now that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is a Freudian slip if'n I never hear'd one afore!!!
lol.png

There is no scientific evidence that "organic" methods work on chickens that are carrying a significant parasite load. I believe that "organic" methods might make it more difficult for a few rare parasites to take hold. But I have my vet do a fecal float twice per year. And if it ever came back positive I would be using a broad spectrum de-wormer such as fenbendazole.

see i cant find a vet in my area to take poultry so im taking more of an aggressive approach to it because i cant find a vet i have one more vets office to call and then im out of options
roll.png

Try Diatomaceous Earth
big_smile.png
I did this with my girls. Some of them were looking kind of skinny, and they have now gained their weight back and it is all natural, so I was able to keep eating my fresh delicious eggs!

Unfortunately there is no such thing as an "organic wormer". There are organic PREVENTATIVES such as garlic, pumpkin seeds, ACV, DE, Verm-ex, etc...These MAY help your chickens avoid worms, but if you have an infestation, they are not going to remove them. I'll get a link to a thread with much more info on this. IF you see worms, or suspect worms and have a positive fecal float, then you need to treat with a dewormer such as Wazine or Ivermectin. Treating them with anything else is just going to allow them to have worms longer--get it over with and then go back to organic methods. If anything "organic" worked I would be all over it.

Here's an excellent thread on worming and organics:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=222384

Last edited:
i seen wazine, but i didnt know much about either the organic stuff or wazine well now i know.... i have another question say i give them wazine twice a year to kill any worms they might have will this hurt them even if they dont and i give it to them to make sure? and can wazine be used on ducks?

Back
Top Bottom