1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Gresh, Sep 2, 2011.

1. fowlman01

fowlman01 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Quote:Mottled usually starts as a black bird with a few white spots and gets more white as it ages. These birds are too white to be considered mottled. Black and white is probably the best term for them.

Walt

2. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    The black and white pullet is from a white cockbird over a blue red hen. Everyone from that hatch has come out white/black, or white/red. They turn out looking somewhat splash.

3. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Mottled usually starts as a black bird with a few white spots and gets more white as it ages. These birds are too white to be considered mottled. Black and white is probably the best term for them.

Walt

It seems to be increasingly popular to call them paints; and a color combination once motivating some culling is now being selected to breed by more and more people. IMO the bird would probably be very useful to anyone trying to breed a paint line.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Agreed with all, but understand that not all mottled birds have very little white at the start. [​IMG] The mottling from juvenile crested breeds especially usually blankets the whole breast of the bird and on into the tail and head.

[​IMG] Paint Brazilians, that's like Lavender Asils.

5. GotGame

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Quote:Thats just wrong....

6. fowlman01

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Quote:Houdans are the only mottled crested birds that come immediately to mind and yes, you might have some with a lot of white when they start out, but I would cull those at the start.
    That is why I said usually. Poor specimens of mottled always have too much white in the beginning.....I don't count poor specimens when I make these comments.

I don't think anyone will be calling self blue OEG's or Asils lavender.....[​IMG]

Walt

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  7. GotGame

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Quote:Houdans are the only mottled crested birds that come immediately to mind and yes, you might have some with a lot of white when they start out, but I would cull those at the start.
    That is why I said usually. Poor specimens of mottled always have too much white in the beginning.....I don't count poor specimens when I make these comments.

I don't think anyone will be calling self blue OEG's or Asils lavender.....[​IMG]

Walt

To the best of my knowledge, and admittedly, I dont know everything, the self blue gene is not found in either american came or orientals......is it?

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    In the US, no. Not that I'm aware of.

In Australia, yes. In Orientals and Aussies.

9. fowlman01

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA

Walt

To the best of my knowledge, and admittedly, I dont know everything, the self blue gene is not found in either american came or orientals......is it?

Page 184 of the SOP lists self blue as a recognized color in OEG's, so I'm sure that it is present in American games, I haven't personally seen it in Orientals, but I'm guessing it is also present in them. There is a lot of diversity of color in games and Orientals. Maybe someone else can answer that question.

Walt

10. Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    Quote:To the best of my knowledge, and admittedly, I dont know everything, the self blue gene is not found in either american came or orientals......is it?

Page 184 of the SOP lists self blue as a recognized color in OEG's, so I'm sure that it is present in American games, I haven't personally seen it in Orientals, but I'm guessing it is also present in them. There is a lot of diversity of color in games and Orientals. Maybe someone else can answer that question.

Walt

The self blue gene is not rare in Orientals such as an example in Shamo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by