Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Oh okay, I thought I recognized her. Why do you say dunghill? These two stags are fighting, but aren't hurting eachother yet so I've left them to free range and be cooped at night. Having a problem with them wanting to challenge the ones on tie cords, and making pen fights happen. Even the hens!

Oh okay, I thought I recognized her. Why do you say dunghill? These two stags are fighting, but aren't hurting eachother yet so I've left them to free range and be cooped at night. Having a problem with them wanting to challenge the ones on tie cords, and making pen fights happen. Even the hens!
It is often that way with the game Malay lines.

I had always understood dunghill to refer to a rooster that won't fight, or runs when attacked by another rooster. These were on the range with grey american game stags that were a little older, but still soft spurred like these Asils. Everything went fine for a little while, but once the asils got the courage to challenge an older stag, he would get knocked pretty hard and wouldn't stop coming back, then the other Asils joined in... Had to put the grey stags up, all four would gang up on them. The Asils even challenge the three year old grey american game that is twice or more his size.

I had always understood dunghill to refer to a rooster that won't fight, or runs when attacked by another rooster. These were on the range with grey american game stags that were a little older, but still soft spurred like these Asils. Everything went fine for a little while, but once the asils got the courage to challenge an older stag, he would get knocked pretty hard and wouldn't stop coming back, then the other Asils joined in... Had to put the grey stags up, all four would gang up on them. The Asils even challenge the three year old grey american game that is twice or more his size.
All day long... I put mine in cells as soon as they start to bloody each other with just a bite and soft nubs

Yeah, they can do some damage when they want to. Since the four by themselves get along pretty well I'm leaving them be until I see blood. No feathers are getting plucked, and I've watched them fighting out there for fun. I'm a stay art home chicken mom, so I am here to keep an eye on them. I always thought Asils were bad for pecking, but these little guys will stare eachother down, shuffle one or two times without any billholds, then go back to whatever they were doing.

Yeah, they can do some damage when they want to. Since the four by themselves get along pretty well I'm leaving them be until I see blood. No feathers are getting plucked, and I've watched them fighting out there for fun. I'm a stay art home chicken mom, so I am here to keep an eye on them. I always thought Asils were bad for pecking, but these little guys will stare eachother down, shuffle one or two times without any billholds, then go back to whatever they were doing.
interesting, enjoy it while it lasts I would say. That is if there is another meaning than the one we seem to know for dunghill=non-game, if not no worries they will continue to cohabitate

Last edited:
I'm enjoying it while it lasts. A few years back, I had just got a clutch of nine (Lacy Rh/ Showtime Kelso/ unknown pumpkin) birds to the five month mark free ranged, six roosters and three pullets. I was so proud of these birds, because the sire was a birthday gift from a guy that won with him before losing his eye; I put him with a mystery pumpkin hen that I only bought because I saw her and liked her station and white legs. There was three spangled, three pumpkin, and one oddball wine red stag. They acted just like the Asils do and got along except the occasional short lived spat. I remember coming home from school to find four roosters laying in several places covered in blood, with heads swollen as baseballs, dead; two were still fighting, but one died shortly after I seperated them. The red one was the only male survivor. I feel bad for feeling good and bad at the same time; you know, they do what they're supposed to; I wish I hadn't have never lost them though.
That's why I'm always keeping a watch on these Asils, they done plucked the feathers off of my laying pullets butt because she somehow fit through the wire to them.

They can turn on each other in a heartbeat. I had a couple of oriental bantam brothers that I raised up together in the same pen. They got along fine and never fought each other so I thought I could put them in a pen with some hens together. Come breeding season I put both the young stags in the pen with the hens. One was a little smaller then the other one. The smaller stag tried to mate with a hen. The larger stag did not like that at all and instantly attacked the smaller stag and if I had not been there he would have killed him. They are in pens side by side now and they try to fight to get to each other to this day. So they can get along one day and try to kill each other the next you just have to watch them and separate them when they start fighting.

A Malay pair and Malay chicks I got yesterday. The stag is in rough shape. The hen has pecked a lot of his feathers out. I put them in a large pen by themselves so I hope that stops. The stag is 10 months old and the hen is a little over a year. The stag is wheaten in color and the hen is red pyle so I will get both colors out of the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom