Pics
Quote:
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
Awesome fowl!
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
JMO; but I think ordering any breed of hatchery chicks is the most expenciive way I can go if my goal is to own quality stock of the breed. The hatchery birds of any breed I've had were pretty good layers and sorta' fit the general description of the breed they were sold as. However they cost nearly the same to feed, and as much to house, as a higher priced bird from a good breeder, and badly needed some quality stock bred in to get them looking like they were supposed to look. The rarer the breed, the more expencive the quality stock costs, but the hatchery birds seemed even farther off to me, and would take many generations of struggle if I ever succeeded in getting them near enough to the breed to suit me.

I have a neighbor that deeply enjoys his mixed flock of hatchery breds and I think that's great, they produce plenty of eggs to eat and hatch and he enjoys them as much as I enjoy mine. [I have some hatchery birds also and enjoy them also.] He's planning on ordering Saipans next spring.................................... I think he'll like them as long as doesn't expect them to look like the pictures of Saipans on the hatchery's site; but seriosly doubt the roos are going to protect his flock from predators as he thinks. On the other hand, I doubt he would be happy with the results of tossing a couple of high priced, true Saipans loose in his pens to fight predators, even if he could find them.........................

Heh, yeah, I've wondered if I'd have to buy a couple breeder stock chickens to improve on my hatchery stock. I've thought about Fowlafoot, since they breed Orloffs (and I think they sell hatching eggs), but I also would like to purchase from a nearby breeder (stock might be immune to local diseases).
I thought Saipans were notorious for being great defenders of their hens. Were you just talking about hatchery-stock Saipans, or Saipans in general? BTW, from your experience or things that you've heard, what gamefowl breed does the best in defending its hens?

Quote:
The willingness to fight and fight to the death [called dead game, with cause] and winning or even living are two entirely different things. I doubt that anyone breeding quality games are depending on them to fight off hawks, owls, or even raccoons; and hopefully have them only for their beauty. I'm not really experienced with the games, and find gameness a totally unnecesary quality in birds; in fact it's a trait I find a distraction in keeping them.

Last edited:
Lots of non-game breeds will defend their hens. I have Cubalayas, and , while they have many "game" ancestors, they are not themselves "game". They will however defend their hens nicely, but, so will many other breeds that are in no way related to the gamefowl. Defending the flock does not denote "gameness". I would not pick out a supposedly game breed because I wanted a good flock defender. No chicken is going to win at night vs. owls or raccoons, period. Game or not.

Quote:
th.gif
ep.gif
Amazing fowl you have! I especially love the stance of the Hyderabad. Love those BBR Asil stags, too. Saladin...I've heard that name before on Feathersite. Don't you also breed Black Sumatras? Would love to see photos of those if you do
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom